What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes no longer backs up iPad 3

Hotaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad 3, never jailbroken, with iOS 8.4.1. (I don't plan on going to 9.x, but that's for another topic.) I connect by USB cable to iTunes 12.5.3.16 on Win8.1Pro/64. I suddenly started getting the rather unhelpful error iTunes could not back up the iPad "Hotaru iPad" because an error occurred. This gives me no idea where to look or what to do. Is there any way to get my backup functionality back?

OP
H

Hotaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was there no error code shown?

No code number in the dialog box. Also no [+] in it from where I might expand the text as I have seen in other iTunes error dialogs.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried more than one cord and the other USB ports on your computer?

OP
H

Hotaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Different cable: Sync button is grayed out. Backup Now button activates but silently returns within seconds. No error. No Waiting for sync message.

Same cable, different port: Same result as before

Extra detail I forgot in the beginning: When it happens, it is after the backup stage (usually Step 2 of x) and after the dialog that some apps could not be installed to the iPad. (That error is because they require a newer iOS, so no issue there). I get the appearance a backup took place until the error dialog comes up.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried using a different computer? It's possible that the fault lies with your computer and not the iPad.

OP
H

Hotaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't done that. I could, but it is much easier said than done. My iTunes library exists only on this box. Migrating the library from the XP box to the Win8 box was a living nightmare and much didn't carry over. I wiped the XP box and reloaded it over 2 years ago. I could put iTunes back on it and see if I can get my library back onto it. I have to keep the XP box for its parallel port. I've got several game console accessories that require a parallel port, and USB adapters do not work.

OP
H

Hotaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using wifi:

Sync completed with no errors (including no dialog for apps stored on iTunes that require a later iOS version), but the last backup date was not updated at the end.

Backup Now button started to work, but within seconds the iPad disconnected and its icon removed from iTunes

Most reactions

Latest posts