What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad3 in recovery mode, have urgently required photos on it ...

veebee64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

after many years as an Intel "fanboy"..building/ o'clocking/ tweaking my own machines and various OS's, I finally succumbed and bought the new iPad3...
in a word...FABULOUS !

until last night..

All of a sudden it went into recovery mode and I gathered from iTunes that "recovery woud wipe everyting off.

As an avid dog breeder/ exhibitor and photographer, I have over 2000 photos of my and many other dogs, that I basically MUST have...

I have worked out how to get it into DFU mode, have downloaded Redsnow, Absinthe, Spirit, RecBoot and Tiny Umbrella, but cannot get anywhere with them.

To make matters worse, the PSU for laptop I use for iTunes has died, and I imagine thats the only way to find out what "firmware"? version the ipad is running.
Redsnow, detects the ipad, only in DFU mode, but then tells me Jailbreak is "not supported by iPad3".
RecBoot, will ru, looking like its doing something, but then the iPad just goes back to recovery mode...
Absinthe only has the "fix recovery" button available when in DFU mode, but log says "recover fix copleted, allow to reboot"..but nothing happens.
Spirit simply tells me that there is no devoce connected, no matter what mode the iPad is in.

To make matters worse, I simply assumed that "Syncing", backed up everything ON the ipad... DOH !

Any help GREATLY appreciated.. 3 major Dog shows this weekend with many people awaiting their pictures from Shows in Country NSW over the last 3 weeks...

Thanks in advance,

Veebee

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ouch. Don't know anything at all about the jailbreaking stuff; but I wonder if the iPad will still show up as a USB drive (in Windows) in DFU mode? Probably not, but if it does you can get anything on the Camera Roll.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly before suggestion anything advanced, are you Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Sent from K48

OP
V

veebee64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Twerppoet... sadly, nothing shows up when in DFU mode..

@ biobunny - Running win7 x64 here on all my machines.

Sadly, I went to the Apple store and was told in no uncertain terms that they canot do ANYTHING when it is stuck in recovery loop... that it must be "reset" to factory default etc...

So, rather than risk getting myself into a position where I mightn't be able to "undo" any signs of "fiddling", I opted for a "recovery through iTunes..(also , my confience was boosted alittle when I saw a "backup - 30th June 2012" somewhere in iTunes when trying and looking through everything.
As the recovery progressed (BIG download) , I was worried as nothing came up asking me about USING the backup I thought I saw (I never did it manually , the backup, it must have been automatic), then when I though the recovery was completed, it asked did I want to reset using the backup ....!!!!

So, luckily I got everything up to 30-6-2012 back on there... lost a bit of my work, but nothing I cannpot live without..

Thanks for all who read the post..

Veebee

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
veebee64 said:
Thanks Twerppoet... sadly, nothing shows up when in DFU mode..

@ biobunny - Running win7 x64 here on all my machines.

Sadly, I went to the Apple store and was told in no uncertain terms that they canot do ANYTHING when it is stuck in recovery loop... that it must be "reset" to factory default etc...

So, rather than risk getting myself into a position where I mightn't be able to "undo" any signs of "fiddling", I opted for a "recovery through iTunes..(also , my confience was boosted alittle when I saw a "backup - 30th June 2012" somewhere in iTunes when trying and looking through everything.
As the recovery progressed (BIG download) , I was worried as nothing came up asking me about USING the backup I thought I saw (I never did it manually , the backup, it must have been automatic), then when I though the recovery was completed, it asked did I want to reset using the backup ....!!!!

So, luckily I got everything up to 30-6-2012 back on there... lost a bit of my work, but nothing I cannpot live without..

Thanks for all who read the post..

Veebee

It's good that you have half fixed it by yourself. My only advice is to backup photos more option (using whatever photo management app you use), and the iPad.

Sent from K48

Most reactions

Latest posts