What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + separate dedicated ebook reader?

iPad + Dedicated eBook Reader?

• Just an iPad. I don't want another device.

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Just an iPad but I might also want an eBook reader.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • iPad + Nook

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • iPad + Kindle

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • iPad + other eBook reading device

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both the iPad and a kindle and a nook. I like to read mainly on my ereaders. The iPad is rather hard to hold for long periods of reading.
If I'm traveling I usually just grab my iPad and my kindle (battery lasts forever). The ereader is also easier on my eyes.

mikeydjay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Kindle way before I got the iPad but to be honest I don't have a preference for which device I use, the kindle is easier on the eye just because of the e-ink and the ability to go a month between charging is brilliant, but I do like the fact you can change the colour of the pages and text when you use the kindle app on the iPad, that and of course the ability to view images and photos in colour makes the iPad a much better option for some books.
Now if I hadn't already bought the kindle then maybe I wouldn't bother to get one now I have the iPad.

nursedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad+Kobo (1st gen).
I like the kobo for outdoor reading but usually I use iPad rest of the time. Might upgrade to the new Kobo touch.

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an iPad. I don't want another device.

Well, and a printer and a few hundred of real and heavy books... can´t stand reading on screen more than necessary. Me Love paper!

Mac
Sign+

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle 2 and IPad 1. I have a waterproof case for Kindle, and love to float around the pool reading it. I prefer reading on the Kindle as it's light and travels well. Ipad for everything else.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both. But I tend to use the iPad more. If I am at home, I might use the Kindle, but when I travel I take only one device, and the iPad wins.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan to simply use the iGlare and forego a separate reader. Now, if I were a big book reader then the Kindle is hands-down easier on the eyes.

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No doubt the dedicated readers are better for long reading periods but I personally don't usually have lots of block time to read so that isn't a problem for me. But, on the glare side, my wife's Kindle whips my iPad terribly even for short periods of time. But as I usually read indoors at night, that's not a concern for me either.

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NookColor, which I bought when I returned my IPad 1. Now that I have the IPad 2, I've been neglecting the Nook. I like being able to read my books on landscape and NookColor does not provide that option. I like the bigger screen as well. I wonder what the re-sale value for the NC is. Probably not much.

Sent from my iPad 2 32 3G Black :)

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an original nook that I got for Christmas last year. I loved it, but I sold it to raise money for my iPad. I'd say it wouldn't be a redundant purchase, especially if you bought one with eink, because reading eink vs. an iPad screen is like night and day. With that being said I love that I could transfer all of my ePub files into iBooks. And I'll never buy an ereader again. But to each their own!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back in June, I wrote that I would often use the Kindle at home, and the iPad when on the road. But eventually I started using the Kindle app on the iPad and stopped using the Kindle e-reader altogether, even though on some afternoon commutes, when there is lots of glare, the Kindle would be better in terms of readability.

Most reactions

Latest posts