What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer photos and music files from a PC to an IPAD2

christine.dancer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am about to purchase an iPAD2 after hearing only good things about it, but I want to be able to access all my photos and music that is currently stored on my PC. Is there a straightforward way of doing this, or do I need to purchase adapters and such?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
christine.dancer said:
I am about to purchase an iPAD2 after hearing only good things about it, but I want to be able to access all my photos and music that is currently stored on my PC. Is there a straightforward way of doing this, or do I need to purchase adapters and such?

iTunes

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Yes through iTunes
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1386

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

edziffel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks and that is great, but I have the same issue and wonder about security.

For instance, what gets sent to the Apple server when you use Itunes? Can I just use my USB connector from my PC to my Ipad Air?

I've seen a bunch of different apps for transferring files. Again, I have no clue as to which ones are good, bad, secure, ????.

Want to use my IPad to mostly read books on, have kindle loaded and works great, and use it as a place to keep my files, contracts, personal files etc., when traveling. So I am concerned with just what is uploaded when you use apps on file. For instance one flashlight app on an android phone, and I expressly understand that an Ipad is not an android, or any relation there of, but it tries to access your contacts, personal files, etc.: Its a clear scam. However, even with an Ipad, a person interested in security want's to know what to expect before they get started and I can't find that info online in the search results that I've seen so far. What exactly does an app like Itunes send to apple when its used? and are there secure apps to use?

I have read the privacy statement but it is not specific, just general.

Can someone help with these concerns?

Thanks

Ed

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not found it, here is a good starting place to read what Apple says about it's security and privacy. There are enough links to follow to other links to follow to keep you busy for a while.

Privacy - Apple

In the end, it's all up to whether you trust them to do what they say they are doing. Apple has little incentive to mess with your privacy or security, and a lot of incentive to make sure third parties don't do so, at least not without your consent; but if you put something online, even with the best intensions and security/privacy measures, there is always some risk.

The only thing I worry a little about with iTunes is my credit card. I trust Apple is doing as well or better than other online retailers to protect it; but I still choose to use a fairly low limit credit card. The same one I use with all those other retailers. The potential damage is more limited, and credit cards (at least in the U.S. have decent fraud protection/insurance).

Almost everything in iCloud is encrypted. At least the stuff in Apple's apps. The main exception is email, and this is mostly due to the nature of IMAP email clients; meaning your email is unlikely to be encrypted on any other email service.

How third party apps store information in iCloud is probably up to them. You should check their security and privacy options before trusting anything sensitive to them.

As far as third party apps accessing your private data like contacts, events, etc: iOS is designed to force apps to ask for permission before they can access that data. While Apple will, and has, quickly pulled any app's it finds that manages to bypass those features, it's still up to the user to exercise some judgment in what apps they purchase and trust. Just like any other computer in the world. If someone is offering you something that looks too good to be true, spend a little time making sure it is true.

And a last note, this thread is a couple years old. Links and information in the previous posts may be out of date.

edziffel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet,

Thank you very much for the excellent well crafted response. Much appreciated.

Been on the Apple Privacy rides already. Your explanation puts it into perspective. My opinion would be that you are correct in your assessments. My concern, being an IT consultant and addressing security issues from time to time, is for what I don't know, based on what I know about Google, and Microsoft and a host of other companies that aggressively collect everything they can about your useage and files. I know Linux and Windows, not Mac,

Bought an iPad for my other, that she didn't use. I want to use it as a portable storage device and reading platform. As you already have addressed my concerns, I'd be comfortable with your recommendations as to which apps to use and how to use then to get the files onto and off of my IPad.

Something like: Install appX onto your iPad and PC. Use a USB to connect the two. Open appX on both. Browse, drag and drop.

My reason for asking in that fashion is that I haven't seen a good explanation of how it is actually done, mostly something like "just use iTunes". Not being familiar with Mac, for me this is analogous to: How do you get to the air port? Take the freeway. Correct but not helpful on a practical level.

Need a PDF reader app as well.

Could I trouble you for a couple of suggestions?

Thanks

Ed

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While iOS apps can be stored in the iTunes library on your computer, they cannot be opened on the PC. There is, however some linteroperability between Mac and iOS versions of the same app, such as Keynote. For Windows PCs, an example would be the Windows and iOS versions of Word.

edziffel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Scifan57,

But other than being able to read PDFs on the iPad, I'm not concerned that other files are functional on the iPad. I'm thinking of the iPad as a substitute for a USB thumb drive with respect to the files I want to carry with me. That is why I am trying to get information on how exactly do you get files on and off of an iPad from a pc.

Because I don't know very much about Macs, I could use some suggestions on what apps to use and a brief outline of how it works. something like:

Load this on the iPad, load this on the PC, Connect the iPad with the PC using the USB Cable or connect the PC and the Mac to a Wifi, open this on the mac and this on the pc. On the the Mac/Pc, do this.

Have no idea how this works and can't find specifics online. Any Ideas?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thinking of the iPad as a thumb drive is going to cause you problems down the road. It's easy enough to get PDF's onto the iPad and read them there, but if you are expecting to easily copy them back to a computer it will be less convenient; though it's not impossible.

If all you want is to transfer PDF files to the iPad so you can read them, with some basic highlighting and notes, then iBooks will work fine. For one or two PDF's at a time, you can email them to yourself, then use the Open In iBooks feature in Mail on the iPad. Or you can use the File Sharing feature of iTunes and a USB cable.

In mail, you either tap on the file icon, or in the center of the PDF (if it is shown in-line) to get the Open In options. This makes a copy of the PDF in iBooks, then opens it in iBooks.

To use iTunes on a PC, you add the PDF to the iTunes the computer, then use the sync settings to enable book syncing, and sync the iPad. I don't recommend this for just adding books to the iPad. Here is Apple's Support page on syncing. It's mostly about music, but the general method applies to books as well. iTunes 12 for Windows: Sync iPod, iPhone, or iPad

If you want more extensive abilities the three main PDF apps I have and like are GoodReader, PDF Expert, and Documents 5.

GoodReader is PDF reader/annotation app with good tools, a flexible file system that will store almost any file format (but only display a few). It's not the best interface, but will do file management tricks most other apps can't handle.

PDF Expert by Readdle has some of the best PDF annotation tools, and it will let you edit PDF files at a page level (delete pages, add blank pages, paste in pages, split and merge files). But it only works with PDF files.

Documents 5, also by Readdle trades of the more powerful PDF tools for a wider range of file compatibility. Most document and media types can be stored and viewed (played) in Documents. Some of the simpler ones can be edited and/or annotated. If you get both PDF Expert and Documents, you get all the power of both.

All three if these have multiple ways to transfer files to/from your computer. All the usual Cloud file services are supported (DropBox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive), and if you know what you are doing you can also use FTP, SfTP, WebDAV, and even Windows SMB protocols.

In addition they have what they call Wi-Fi Drive (or Wi-Fi Transfer in GoodReader's case). When turned on in the app, you are provided with a URL (web site address) that is generated by the iPad. This is a local site, not visible outside your own wi-fi network. To transfer files you go to a computer on the same network, enter the URL in a browser, and use the tools on the provided page to copy files back and forth.

GoodReader used to have a companion app for the computer called GoodReader USB. It may still exist (I haven't looked recently). This app can be used on the computer to copy files back and forth using a USB cable.

How I use these app;

iBooks. I use this for PDF files that I intend to keep permanently, have not specific purpose (so they don't need extensive organization), and that I only need to reference or read. I also use it for what it's intended, to read iBooks and other ePub formatted books.

PDF Expert is my main PDF app. I use it when I know I want to annotate a PDF, keep PDF files organized in folders for specific projects or categories, and/or want to keep those PDF files synced with a cloud file service like DropBox.

Documents 5 is an app I picked up out of curiosity. If I needed to keep a lot of different file formats organized in one place, I would use it: for instance, some pictures, audio files, PDFs, and some Word documents all about the same project. But I never do this. I prefer to keep each file type in apps, which are best suited for what I want to do with those files. I can get away with this because I don't have a lot of complicated projects with lots of related files of different types.

Note: PDF Converter by Readdle is handy for converting other file types (even email content) into PDF files; and it integrates well with PDF Expert. It won't do everything, but nothing will.

edziffel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet,

What can I say... That is the most helpful, clear, comprehensive and on point response to a post that I've ever gotten from anywhere. Simply outstanding in form and completeness. Much appreciated.

Already purchased GoodReader based on the overwhelming number of top reviews and after running down application specs. Barring an unreasonable price barrier, will add the others: I'd like to consider myself smart enough to take a hint. lol

But based on this, I'm really feeling the need to ask if you would mind terribly to, without explanation or comment, just list other apps that you use. I'm thinking that I could save a couple of years of R&D with that info.

Thanks again,

Ed

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At the moment I'm one app short of an even 200 on the iPad, which would be a rather long list. How about I limit it to the apps I either use on a daily basis, or ones I'm really impressed with and wish I had more reason to use. I 'm going to add minor comments, because I can't help myself. The comments are about how I use the apps, not their overall quality or usefulness.

Tapatalk (everyday)
Reeder (everyday)
Tweetbot (everyday)
MacHash (sometimes)
Flixter (sometimes)
FaceBook (because it's where family is)
Dark Sky (everyday)
CARROT Weather (for the Apple Watch wind direction complication)
RainAware (when it's rainy, like right now)
PhotoSync ( occasionally handy)
Snapseed (good to have handy)
LightTrac (good to have handy)
Theodolite (just too cool)
ViewExif (good to have handy)
PCalc (best calc ever)
iBooks (most ebooks)
Kindle (most of the rest of my ebooks)
Overcast (everyday)
Hulu (incase my computer breaks)
Netflix (incase my computer breaks)
WolframAlpha (too cool)
Star Walk (too cool)
The Elements (too cool)
MotionX GPS HD (occasionally handy)
iCab Mobil (occasionally handy)
Puffin (occasionally handy)
MagicPlan (too cool)
Scanner Pro (occasionally handy)
Scannable (every week)
Documents 5 (occasionally handy)
GoodReader (occasionally handy)
PDF Expert (every week)
PDF Converter (occasionally handy)
PDF Office (occasionally handy)
Skitch (every week, mostly for this forum)
Evernote (every day)
Byword (wish I had a reason)
Textilus (wish I had a reason)
Explain Everything (too cool)
Workflow (occasionally, too cool, and wish I had more reasons)
IF or IFTTT (too cool, and useful in combination with Evernote)
Box
DropBox
Google Drive
Sketchbook (wishful thinking)
ArtRage (too cool)
Inkpad (wishful thinking)
PS Touch (good to have handy)
Codea (too cool, and wishful thinking)
iWork: Pages, Keynote, Numbers (occasionally)
MS Office: Word, Excel (occasionally, with free MS account)
Google: Docs, Sheets, Word (occasionally)
iMovie (occasionally)
iPassword (everyday)

And I use most of the built in apps every day, or at least every week.

Some of these I mostly use on the iPhone, like the weather apps and the social/news apps.

Some of these may not work very well on an iPad 2.

Most reactions

Latest posts