What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting iPad2 to Car Stereo??? Need Help Here Thanks.

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting ready for a Thanksgiving trip. I have an audio book downloaded from the Public Library to my iPad2 I want to listen to. My truck has an Audiophile stereo with a little plug where I can plug in a MP3 player etc. and play from it on the road thru the truck speakers....Can I play my book this way? Do I need some adapter that I did not get with the iPad2 in the box when I bought it?

Also can I charge battery from car cig lighter if battery runs down on iPad2???

Thanks and I'm sorta new to this and retired and so forth so my learning curve is big at times but I am trying.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you will be able to play it.

you just need a stereo to stereo audio cable(basically a headphone jack on both ends).

this is a fancy looking one
Griffin_Technology_Auxiliary_Stereo_Audio_Cable__6_feet_-SS80MVVmLXhScTh1TC5qcGc=.jpg

chances are, if you already have computer external speakers, you have this cable, which will work(looks green, and connects to the sound card of most pc's).
images

if your car stereo had rca inputs(in the rear mostly) this cable can be used, and can be used for home theatres too with rca inputs.

stereo_to_rca.jpg

and to charge, yes you can charge it in the car using the cigarette lighter socket.
i use something similar to this one, it basically have a usb socket, where you can use your own apple cable(just plug in).

Kensington-PowerBolt-Duo-iPad-2-Car-Charger.jpg

tomearp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting ready for a Thanksgiving trip. I have an audio book downloaded from the Public Library to my iPad2 I want to listen to. My truck has an Audiophile stereo with a little plug where I can plug in a MP3 player etc. and play from it on the road thru the truck speakers....Can I play my book this way? Do I need some adapter that I did not get with the iPad2 in the box when I bought it?

If the input in your truck is a 3.5mm socket then you can just get a 3.5mm male-to-male stero lead and you can plug straight into it. They are available on the apple store (search for belkin 3.5mm stereo cable) but I would look elsewhere for a better price!

Also can I charge battery from car cig lighter if battery runs down on iPad2???

Yeah, if you have an iphone and an ipad then the dual car charger might be useful to you, or if you're using a satnav or something else already in the cig lighter socket (search the apple store for incase dual car charger). Again you will most likely find a better price elsewhere. The important thing is the current rating. It needs to be rated at 2.1A in order to charge the ipad at it's 'normal' speed. Lower rated car adapters will either charge it slowly, or might require you to switch the ipad off in order to charge it at all.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My civic came with a stereo aux jack. If this is what you have, use a male-to-male adapter cable to connect the iPad headphone jack to the car aux jack. The cable is like this one http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-...PJZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321987321&sr=8-1

To charge the iPad 2 from the car, you need a 2.1 amp charger like this http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...XM/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1321987619&sr=8-33

These are just examples. There are lots of choices. I'm sure you can find what you need at just about any store that sells iPad accessories.

Have a nice trip!

Most reactions

Latest posts