What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic FM app

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't already have the Classic FM app, it would be a good time to download it. It offers the live broadcast from the UK radio station and is free to download.

Classic FM on the App Store

Classic FM will pay tribute to one of the most influential and prolific composers in history by playing nothing but Mozart for 24 hours.

image: http://assets4.classicfm.com/2016/48/mozart-marathon--1480504855-article-0.jpeg

mozart-marathon--1480504855-article-0.jpeg

On Monday 5th December 2016, it is the 225th anniversary of the death of the great composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. To mark this historic date, Classic FM is holding a Mozart Marathon. For 24 hours, we will play nothing but Mozart , while our presenters will take the opportunity to tell the story of his life.

Read more at Classic FM’s Mozart Marathon to mark 225th anniversary of composer’s death - Mozart News

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I already have the app and will be listening on the 5th. Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Kevin - not sure what the programming will be? Wolfie is one of my favorite classical music composers - just looked at my database and I own 230 CDs of his music! Now, I do have 4-5 multiple sets of certain works (symphonies, piano sonatas, & piano concertos - both period instrument and MI performances - only way to go - ;)) - my main deficit in his K. catalog are the operas (wife & I have never been into that genre) - Dave :)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to grab single pieces from operas, for example Nessun Dorma from Turandot.

Occasionally, I find one that I can get through in its entirety, but not often. The Marriage of Figaro is one such. Don Giovanni and Così Fan Tutte appear to be the only other Mozart operas I've listened to right through, out of 22 that he wrote. Perhaps the programming on the 5th will yield some unfamiliar gems. By the way, if you email the station and let them know where you are listening from they'll maybe give you a shoutout on the air. I've always found the station to be very interactive.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tend to grab single pieces from operas, for example Nessun Dorma from Turandot.

Occasionally, I find one that I can get through in its entirety, but not often. The Marriage of Figaro is one such. Don Giovanni and Così Fan Tutte appear to be the only other Mozart operas I've listened to right through, out of 22 that he wrote. Perhaps the programming on the 5th will yield some unfamiliar gems. By the way, if you email the station and let them know where you are listening from they'll maybe give you a shoutout on the air. I've always found the station to be very interactive.

As an adult, I've seen just 2 operas, Così Fan Tutte (a local production in Winston-Salem) and one of Verdi's opera at the Met in NYC - but growing up, my father LOVED opera and had seasonal opera tickets for years at the Toledo Art Museum (traveling troupes) - my mother refused to go, so I as the oldest son was 'dragged' to MANY of these performances! Might have done me in - don't know?

BUT, I own a LOT of Medieval/Renaissance/Baroque vocal music, including all of the JS Bach's Cantatas - now, I also love Masses and Requiems and just noticed that relative to Mozart, I have just a couple of his Masses and two performances of the Requiem - maybe I need to get Wolfie's complete Masses (such as the collection below)? Actually, I have many more CDs of Joseph Haydn, probably my favorite classical music composer, including all of his Masses. Dave :)
81rsty9a4OL._SL1200_.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, let me continue since this thread may 'draw in' a lot of iPad Forum members who are also classical music lovers - next spring will be my 10th anniversary as a member of the Good-Music-Guide Forum - I'm 'Sonicman' there w/ the avatar shown below - there is a comparable 'Diner' where I post my frequent movie reviews & comments; also, post my music listening in an appropriate forum. This forum has some great mods and members - so for those w/ a strong yen for classical music, join in! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 7.33.27 PM.png

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. I'll take you up on that. The musical forums I'm already a member of tend to concentrate on equipment, rather than the use to which that equipment is put.

Done. Predictable as the day is long, I've taken my usual login name on there.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. I'll take you up on that. The musical forums I'm already a member of tend to concentrate on equipment, rather than the use to which that equipment is put.

Done. Predictable as the day is long, I've taken my usual login name on there.

Great Kevin - hope that you enjoy and looking forward to seeing you there! Now, most of the members are 'guys' and the 'Diner' can become interesting, e.g. politics and other heated topics - I usually don't join those threads, but others seem to love them - ;) Dave

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have a look around. I've got it pinned. I like to give it a couple of months of lurking to get the feel of the forum before I pitch in.

Most reactions