What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar sync using iOS Calendars

Sanderella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Y'all!

I've been using the iOS Calendar on my iphone 4 for ages. I recently bought an iPad 2. I want to sync the iOS Calendar from my iPhone, through Google Apps, and over to my iPad.

I've tried using Google Sync and CalDAV, but I must be doing something wrong. I really need step-by-step help. Google Sync sets up fine (or rather, 'm not getting any errors), but nothing is syncing from my iOS Calendar from my iPhone to my Google Calendar, even though I have the Google Sync selected both in the iOS Calendar and in the Settings menu.

I can't get anywhere at all with CalDAV as it just keeps saying "unable to verify account information", and I'm 100% positive I'm entering the correct email address and password when trying to set it up.

Can someone PLEASE help? I've spent most of this afternoon really frustrated trying to figure this out!

Thanks!
Sandra

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll post my favorite instructions at the bottom, but I suspect you probably chose not to merge the events when you set up the Google Account.

In that case, go into your Calendar app and tap on the Accounts button at the top left. You'll probably see that you have both a Google calendar (your google email probably) and a local calendar. All your events are still on the local calendar, so they don't sync.

Only the calendars with checkmarks beside them will show up in the calendar view. So be sure the google calendar is selected.

You can either edit those events one at a time, and move them to the Google calendar, or you can go back to your Google Accounts settings, turn off the calendar (don't be afraid to allow it to delete, since it will only delete the google calendar.

Now turn it back on, and when it asks, choose to Merge the events. At this step you should for no reason what-so-ever choose to Delete events. If you do, you're events will be gone, replaced by the empty google calendar. Don't do it.

Now, assuming that all you had was the local calendar and the google calendar to start with, you should now have only the google calendar with your events in it.

If my original descriptions of what you have to start with(two calendars, local with events, google empty) DO NOT follow my procedures. Instead give me a more complete description of what is going on and I'll try again.

Here are the Exchange setup procedures, just in case you need them again.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

When you have successfully synced one device, and checked on the Google site to make sure your contacts are there, Then you can set up the second. With that device you may want to choose to delete the contacts when you first sync, or there will likely be duplicates. Just don't do this until you KNOW your contacts are already on Google.

Last edited:

sakura1998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can either edit those events one at a time, and move them to the Google calendar, or you can go back to your Google Accounts settings, turn off the calendar (don't be afraid to allow it to delete, since it will only delete the google calendar.

Now turn it back on, and when it asks, choose to Merge the events

Hi,

I've tried all the above steps (and many others :S) and am able to move events one at a time from ipad to GC (with no recurrences or reminders, etc), but can in no way sync the whole calendar.

The option to merge calendars doesn't appear when i turn it off and on again...

Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi,

I've tried all the above steps (and many others :S) and am able to move events one at a time from ipad to GC (with no recurrences or reminders, etc), but can in no way sync the whole calendar.

The option to merge calendars doesn't appear when i turn it off and on again...

Any ideas?

There are a couple of third party apps in the App Store that promise to export your local iPad calendars for you. If you export the calendar from the iPad as vCard (.vfc) file you can then copy/email it to your computer and import it on the Google Calendar site. You might be able to import it from Mail on the iPad as well.

I don't have one of these apps, can't remember their name, and have no way to experiment; so I'm afraid that's about all the help I can be.

Most reactions

Latest posts