What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad RAM?

Craigatcsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My original iPad has been dropping out of Facebook for quite a while. When typing in FB and a few other apps, I would have to wait after each key was pressed. If I didn't, the app would close. So, I finally gave up and bought a new Air. So, I figured I would set the original back to Factory. It made no difference, so I'm guessing bad Ram.

Is this something I can replace?

I don't know if the original is worth paying to have fixed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have no way to know what is wrong with it. So even if you could replace the RAM (which is NOT something you want to do less you enjoy that kind of thing) it may not be the problem.

Personally, I would not pay to have a 1st generation iPad fixed, but this is a decision that only you can make. Likely for the cost to fix it, you can buy some other tablet brand new.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have no way to know what is wrong with it. So even if you could replace the RAM (which is NOT something you want to do less you enjoy that kind of thing) it may not be the problem.

Personally, I would not pay to have a 1st generation iPad fixed, but this is a decision that only you can make. Likely for the cost to fix it, you can buy some other tablet brand new.

Expanding RAM is fairly tricky, even on the iPad 1 since the RAM and the processor are encased within the same structure. Unless you have the tools to do so, it'll be extremely difficult to separate the RAM from the logic board itself because it has a rear sort of casing where you can't access the soldered points of the vital on-board chipsets, so you'd have to get that taken out, then manufacture a DRAM component that is compatible with the A4 processor. Overall it's do-able, but extremely difficult, and usually if you're going to end up playing around with the processor and RAM, your device is probably shot.

Also note that for a lot of the newer applications (particularly ones that support a huge range of iOS's like Facebook), the amount of resources required to maintain these applications is immense. On my 5 and 5S, Facebook can utilize up to 300MB of my RAM just loading up the first time with the first 25 or so posts in my news feed with no incoming messages/notifications.

OP
C

Craigatcsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

As I suspected, cost wise, it just isn't worth it.

I used to build PCs back in the DX days so I understand the description you give, but the task itself is above my comfort level.

So, I will have to use it as a GPS for the Bike. It does have 3G capabilities so I'm guessing that will still work. :)

It isn't junk by any means, so I hate to toss it yet.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Latest posts