AT&T changing their plans

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by lowlife, Jun 2, 2010.

1. figmo10

figmo10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    What I remember is that the 3G service unlimited was featured as a prime selling point of the iPad, and even thoughI can keep it for now, I don't trust AT&T to keep it much longer.

2. adamh10

adamh10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Now you ATT folks know how we feel in Canada!

AT&T just pulled a Rofers/Bell/Telus move!

It's funny, we go from being the worst with iPad data plans to the best: ATT is $25 for 2GB, Rogers is $35 for 5GB. More than double for $10 more.

That being said, i find myself almost always connected to wifi so i really don't need all the data...

3. JoAnne

JoAnne
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm in!

Ok, this latest thing from AT&T had me buying the iPad 3G today. After thinking back and forth if I really need it I finally gave in because I wanted to be grandfathered in the Unlimited Plan. I'll think more later, hahaha. :D

4. asmny

asmny
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Grandfathered ???

How do you get "Grandfathered" with your current unlimited ipad plan?

5. JoAnne

JoAnne
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    If I buy before June 6 (which I did) I can still be in the Unlimited Plan even though I don't get my iPad till June 23.

6. sweet

sweet
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The problem with the grandfathering is that you need to keep your unlimited data plan active to keep it. I only want it for when i go out of town like. 2-3 times a year.

7. packaok

packaok
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Posted on another thread:

My iPad, a 32GB 3G model, will be arriving on Wednesday of this week. Last night, we went ahead and ordered one for my wife as well, a 16GB 3G model, so that it, too, can be grandfathered into the unlimited plan. Again, I want to thank Apple and AT&T for doing right by the customer and not allowing the iPad shortage to prevent us from getting grandfathered in. The unlimited plan was one of the major reasons that we went for the 3G iPad instead of the wi-fi model and Verizon MiFi.

8. packaok

packaok
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For us, we plan to keep 3G activated permanently. My wife uses it for her business as a real estate appraiser. Often, she has no wifi connectivity in the rural parts of the counties that she works, so the 3G was the primary reason we chose the iPad. I'm just thankful that we get the unlimited plan.

9. Teacher's Pet

Teacher's Pet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I understand that the data networks are really jammed up. However, this was an issue before the iPad craze and ATT decided to approach the release with the unlimited marketing method. I think they've done a poor job of handling the situation. I have a 3G and will be grandfathered in. But I think this is going to cost ATT in the long run.

I will be buying another iPad for my girlfriend very soon. Before there was no doubt I would go with another 3G and the unlimited plan. But now, Ill most likely go with another network and tether or use a mobile wifi device such as those offered by Sprint. I don't think I'm the only user who will be looking into other options besides AT&T because of the change, whereas before it wouldn't have been considered.