What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for Travel

Dormon001

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A World Atlas and compendium - A free App for now

The App Store is giving away a world atlas and compendium for free. This is to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the store.

It took over 1 hour to download the app on a strong wifi connection to my broadband. The App is aimed at raising awareness of our planet and has facts and figures, such as population, name of the capital city and distance from your place, about each country. Countries have icons and figures which link to further information about the item. Tap t speaker icon for the details against each item to be read out aloud.

The downside is that you don't get info about major cities and tourist attractions. However, the app is packed with facts and features which are educational and should whet your family's appetite for travel.

I suppose its an electronic equivalent of a DK compendium of the world.

Have fun :)

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those of you interested in England's built heritage, there are 2 great weekends in September when you can visit places for free.

For everywhere outside of Greater London the Heritage days set around the 2nd weekend in Sept can be viewed online via this website. Heritage Open Days. I'm afraid there isn't an app for this.

On the 3rd weekend of Sept, buildings in Greater London are opened for free access. There is a paid app for this. The 2013 version is yet to be released. However check this link Open House London. I don't have any photos toots of past visits, but I can assure you that you will get a great welcome from helpers and staff at the buildings.

In fact you should get more sizzle for you sterling! :)

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This app appears to be fine. It's the app equivalent of other tourism websites for London.

I have the visit London site bookmarked. This links to the free attractions pages..... http://www.visitlondon.com/tag/free-attractions/1

HTH

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thank you! It certainly helps. :)

I had already bookmarked the visit London website before, but not yet detected the free attractions. I'll take a look at them.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google Maps is now available for iPad. It is free in the App Store.

You need to check the help pages about accessing street view. It's pretty straightforward to access.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ADDENDUM. A cool feature is the ability to unlock the iPad when in street view. Once unlocked (touch icon with 2 curved arrows bottom left of screen) you can pan while turning the iPad around. :)

Last edited:

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to try the one I downloaded. Everyone I've met speaks English. Probably because I'm doing the touristy things. I love art museums.

Bobbi

Most reactions

Latest posts