What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZAGGKeys ProPlus for Ipad questions

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dd a search on my iPF app and dint see any results, so bear with me for a sec. Does anyone know if the keys themselves are lit on this model? What I mean is, I know under each key there is light, but do the actual letters pass this light through or are they just white paint on black keys and the light surrounds each key....no definitive pics were on the net as far as I could see...

Thanks everyone!!!!!

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. The lights surround the keys. They are user switchable for three levels of brightness (and, of course, off). I have one and think it does everything promised. Used it on an airplane and had no trouble "seeing" the keys

OP
J

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...I'm guessing all the images from the new reviews I finally located were photoshopped...I notice that the zagg website didn't list any photos indicating the key letters themselves lighting up, just around them...then I saw a few reviews that shows all the letters and the surrounds were fully lit.....

Oh well, guess ill send it back! Tanks

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too bad you are giving up on this ZaggProPlus keyboard. I have the original Zaggfolio keyboard case. It is two years old. It works very well with my original iPad. If the lettering is painted on these keys, I have not seen any sign of fading letters. I have thought of getting this keyboard that you refer to but I'm waiting for it to come down in price. I missed the Black Friday Sale that Zagg offered this keyboard for 20% off(?).

I was looking around the Zagg website for how it described this keyboard. Zagg refers to this keyboard as "backlit". I am assuming there is another term for keys that are actually lit. This might not be that difficult to do, if they can come out with transparent keys? The backlit lights come in seven different colors. I suppose you can choose which color you want depending on your mood. <S>

Attachments

• image-2137538519.jpg
    image-2137538519.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 493
OP
J

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the wife showed mercy on me last night so i am typing on it right now. The keys are indeed "Shine Through"!! Very happy about the fit and finish. Love the various colors, with green and red being my favorites right now. My only complaint right now is that the keys themselves seem a little off....Starting at the "0" key and working down towards the space bar, there appears to be an alignment problem. The keys themselves are registering the letters being pressed, but they appear to be "sunken in" on the keyboard itself. Some of the keys also appear to be dragging on the sides of the aluminum has they are depressed. I love the backlighting, but i think i like the keys on the original ZaggMate better. I still use that with my iPad3 with no issues, so i may go back to that or contact Zagg for a replacement......

OP
J

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i think i have a solution to my key problem..... It appears that the keyboard "holes" (The surface of the keyboard where the keys poke through) for the chicklet keys is 2 pieces bonded togher with an epoxy like substance. This has squeezed out in some spots to create a little "lip" the the keys are getting stuck too. I popped a few keys off and was able to use a razor to scrape away some of the excess and the key is working much better now.. I will try to get some pictures of what I am referring to when I get home.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
The other thing you can do is to call Zagg. they have great customer support. I had one of the iPad 1 keyboards that developed a battery issue and they replaced it very quickly and even took care of the shipping. Instead of cutting at the epoxy, just have them replace the keyboard.

I have been using their screen protectors for at least 5 years and they have been nothing but helpfull in replacing those as well.

Tigerman82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered this keyboard cover as according to reviews it should be one of the best non-folio type keyboards (better than the Ultrathin). However, I only now realize that perhaps I should've taken into consideration the fact that I will be using an iCarbons back skin and a screen protector (Visor XT) that's not exactly ultrathin. Will the iPad (I have iPad 4) still with into Zaggkeys' 'channel'? Do any of you guys use skins and screen protectors with your iPads and this style keyboards?

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What about the pro without the backlit keys? Do u think it makes much improvement to have that feature?

Don't understand ur question about the skins..isn't it just a film to protect ipad?

Sent from my iPad using iPFt

Tigerman82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about the pro without the backlit keys? Do u think it makes much improvement to have that feature?

Don't understand ur question about the skins..isn't it just a film to protect ipad?

There are different kinds of skins available. Some are clear and thin, and then some are texturized and thicker (leather skins, carbon fiber skins etc.). Obviously it adds to the thickness of the iPad. Furthermore, the iVisor XT is a thicker screen protector which has fake iPad borders (black or white). So that's more added thickness. Obviously I was worried about if it fitted the groove or the channel of the Zaggkeys (or if it affected the viewing angle). Anyway, I now have all of the above-mentioned accessories and can say that not only does the iPad fit in the groove but the viewing angle is still good. I can also say, regarding the stability issue when iPad is in the groove, that I couldn't get the iPad to fall off no matter how I tried. I tapped the iPad hard, I tilted and moved the Zaggkeys but yet the iPad didn't fall off. One factor here could be the thickness of the device you place in the groove. Perhaps people with most problems with stability are using a narrower, lighter iPad (iPad 2). Moreover, a customer on Amazon wrote that perhaps the added thickness from his back skin and screen protector fastened the iPad better in the groove. All in all, I'm very happy about the Zaggkeys Pro Plus.

Regarding the backlit keys... Obviously many people buy the Plus-model for its coolness factor. While there can be situations where I would benefit from the backlit keys, I doubt I would be in them for more than once or twice a year. On the other hand, buying directly from Zagg let's you use coupons to get the price down.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the regular Carbon Fiber looking Zagg and keyboard. I like the fact that the case protects my iPad completely. Its a nice case and I'm happy with it. I wanted the Pro, but I wanted more protection.

Sent from my rooted Razr Maxx HD using TapaTalk 2.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are different kinds of skins available. Some are clear and thin, and then some are texturized and thicker (leather skins, carbon fiber skins etc.). Obviously it adds to the thickness of the iPad. Furthermore, the iVisor XT is a thicker screen protector which has fake iPad borders (black or white). So that's more added thickness. Obviously I was worried about if it fitted the groove or the channel of the Zaggkeys (or if it affected the viewing angle). Anyway, I now have all of the above-mentioned accessories and can say that not only does the iPad fit in the groove but the viewing angle is still good. I can also say, regarding the stability issue when iPad is in the groove, that I couldn't get the iPad to fall off no matter how I tried. I tapped the iPad hard, I tilted and moved the Zaggkeys but yet the iPad didn't fall off. One factor here could be the thickness of the device you place in the groove. Perhaps people with most problems with stability are using a narrower, lighter iPad (iPad 2). Moreover, a customer on Amazon wrote that perhaps the added thickness from his back skin and screen protector fastened the iPad better in the groove. All in all, I'm very happy about the Zaggkeys Pro Plus.

Regarding the backlit keys... Obviously many people buy the Plus-model for its coolness factor. While there can be situations where I would benefit from the backlit keys, I doubt I would be in them for more than once or twice a year. On the other hand, buying directly from Zagg let's you use coupons to get the price down.

Are u referring to the Groupons or does Zagg offer their own coupons? I am going to check out Kb in store to see if backlit keys are worth the difference in price. That's what I ve been trying to find out here

Tigerman82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are u referring to the Groupons or does Zagg offer their own coupons? I am going to check out Kb in store to see if backlit keys are worth the difference in price. That's what I ve been trying to find out here

I just googled "Zagg coupon". Many internet sites offer these coupons or vouchers so it really does pay to google them. I think only you can answer if the backlit keys are worth the price (they don't do any extra magic tricks as they are just backlit keys with a few color AND brightness alternatives). To me it was worth it because I used a coupon to lower the price, because they look cool and because, on those rare occasions, I can type in the dark.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just googled "Zagg coupon". Many internet sites offer these coupons or vouchers so it really does pay to google them. I think only you can answer if the backlit keys are worth the price (they don't do any extra magic tricks as they are just backlit keys with a few color AND brightness alternatives). To me it was worth it because I used a coupon to lower the price, because they look cool and because, on those rare occasions, I can type in the dark.

Did u use the coupon u got from Google? Wasnt it still more with backlighting? But not a huge difference, so may be worth it..I could buy one to tomorrow at staples, but would like to get it with coupon. Will google it now!

Most reactions

Latest posts