What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTube issue

82west

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife posted a video on YouTube, her IMac will pull it up with a search, on my iPad using the same exact wording, using the UT app, or going directly into UT by the web, will not pull it up. It will pull up another video with virtually the same name.
Anyone have a explanation for this?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Under "broadcasting and sharing options" for particular video.
Syndication setting should be set to:

"Yes, make this video available on mobile phones and TV. Note, the video may not be available on all devices due to copyright or licensing issues."

That may help....

OP

82west

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No copy right issues, it will"pull up on the iMac, why will,it not locate it onthe iPad, the link will work on the iPad, but will not find the video on a search in UT.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the mobile and desktop versions of the website use different servers, and the search database isn't identical.

Try going to the bottom of the page in Safari on the iPad and choosing the desktop site. See if the search works then.

Warning, the desktop site is a little wonky in Safari on the iPad, but should work. To get back to the tablet optimized site enter m.youtube.com in Safari's URL field.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
YouTube dumped the tablet version a while ago. Now it's just desktop and mobile. Html5 is coming soon.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That explains things. I thought it looked different. Still, the mobile site works ok for casual viewing, once you figure out you need to hit the icon at the top right for more options.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of the YouTube versions work for me in safari. Just says "address is invalid" when I play a video. :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange, I don't have any problems. Maybe we are just having opposite luck in picking the videos. I go the the m.youtube.com site, mostly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, a jailbreak tweak I gather. Well, we better stop drifting off topic before Sweetpoison chastises us, again. ;)

I'm hoping the OP will come back and let us know if switching to the desktop site makes a difference. I hate not knowing if my theories pan out, though I suppose I could test it myself. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I did find some slight differences when I searched the desktop site and the mobile one (using both safari and the YouTube app). Attempting to play the missing-from-mobile video on the iPad shows that it requires Flash. Not exactly a surprise.

We'll have to wait for the OP to see if this is the same problem. It is probably as OUTL4W said, and he needs to enable it for mobile.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
82west said:
No copy right issues, it will"pull up on the iMac, why will,it not locate it onthe iPad, the link will work on the iPad, but will not find the video on a search in UT.

But you still need to make sure you tick "yes to show on mobile device's".....I think. :)

Last edited:
OP

82west

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Utube web site

I thought I mentioned it before, I tried the iPad app, and going directly, to the web site for UT, identical searches would not locate it on the IPad. I can see videos with no problem, I guess, there must be some I am missing. I have not tried it in Terra, did not think about it until just now.
Will post results.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
82west said:
I thought I mentioned it before, I tried the iPad app, and going directly, to the web site for UT, identical searches would not locate it on the IPad. I can see videos with no problem, I guess, there must be some I am missing. I have not tried it in Terra, did not think about it until just now.
Will post results.

Since safari on the ipad is classified as "mobile"...the vid won't show up unless you "allow" it to under the syndication setting by choosing yes to allow it to be viewed on mobile devices. I believe whenever you upload from pc or mac this setting is by default set to "no".....I think.

OP

82west

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be stupid but but, I tried terra and located it by search, bot it was in flash. I tried safari again and did find the desk top tab at the bottom, thanks, I was able to search and find the video, but in flash again, but the one directly above it with the same name was not in flash. I went back to try the direct link from wife in a email, pulled the video up and it was not in flash.

I give.

Most reactions

Latest posts