What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube and flash

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got a question about YouTube and Adobe flash. I was always under the impression that YouTube did not require flash. But apparently I was wrong, with some podcasts I don't need flash but with others I get a message that says the flash player's required. What's going on? Does anybody have any experience with this?

Just to be clear, I've been watching YouTube on my iPad 2, on the web, after I upgraded to IOS iOS6.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting, I have read that YouTube runs fine on iPad without flash. Maybe the videos you are attempting to watch just came out recently and still need to be converted...
Wow, this is my post number 555!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The desktop version of YouTube sometimes uses Flash. The mobile version at m.youtube.com will only serve HTML 5.

Youtube is supposed to have been transitioning away from Flash for some time. They even had a beta/volunteer desktop version of the site that was all HTML 5. I'd have expected them to be done by now. Don't know what happened.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had any problems playing videos on the original and current YouTube apps. You generally only run into flash incompatibility problems when trying to use the website version of YouTube.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Youtube videos come in a variety of formats. Some are encoded in Flash... The iPad YouTube app checks the video format and will not display ones that are done in flash. This is why all the videos you view using the YouTube app work without problems. This isn't the case when you come across a link or someone sends you a link to a Flash YouTube video.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's a new YT client called Jasmine, designed for iPad in landscape mode. I'm liking it a lot, and you might, too.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's a new YT client called Jasmine, designed for iPad in landscape mode. I'm liking it a lot, and you might, too.

Never really thought about using 3rd party YouTube apps. Will have to check it out.

donetus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LannyC said:

you can also try Squrl .. :)

corncob

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just installed Jasmine. Looks good but when I try to play something it tells me "YouTube has restricted feeds for this video" and sits there forever saying "loading".

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want everybody to take a look at the link attached to this post from YouTube and tell me what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. You have to understand I'm not used to seeing Flash video, so this comes as something of a shock.

So I followed the instructions on the video, and went to the suggested pages and played a couple of videos. They played just fine. OK, thinks me, they might not be Flash videos, so I thought, lets check 'em on the iPhone. I hadn't monkeyed with the bookmarks, so it should be a good control.

I've just learned something else. My iDevices sync bookmarks, and the video played on there too.

I think you have just rendered obsolete about 2000 threads on iPF. What a find! Well done!

Most reactions

Latest posts