What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You still wonder why is LTE so important - Read this!

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
281978-lte-logo.jpg

LTE is mentioned in most iPad 3 related articles, but I wasnt so well informed about it. So I`ve done some research.

I found great article where is described full advantage of LTE & what this technology can bring to iPad 3.
With LTE, our iPad`s can be powerful like our desktop machines.

Take a look:

iPad 3: Should It Support LTE?
Faster wireless data networks can help usher in a new class of big, beautiful, always-on hosted iPad apps that will need serious bandwidth speed.
By Tom Kaneshige

As Apple's much anticipated March unveiling of the iPad 3 (or whatever it'll be called) fast approaches, the Apple rumor mill is in hyper-drive about what to expect. This week, it's all about the iPad 3 and LTE.
The Wall Street Journal reported that "people familiar with the matter" said that Verizon Wireless and AT&T will sell the next version of the iPad running on their fast LTE data networks. If this turns out to be true, then it'll be the first time the iPad has trumped the iPhone (which does not support LTE).

The iPad sure could use the speed of the LTE network. "Apple needs to solve the bandwidth issue if they're going to roll out 1080p video," says Kyle Wiens of iFixit, a Web site that provides free repair manuals and advice forums. "Their new wireless sync feature is great, but it's way too slow."

The iPad has emerged as a great multimedia consumption device that streams video and delivers graphic-intensive games and other apps. The iPad 3 is also expected to double the resolution of its predecessors. All of this translates into the need for bandwidth speed on the iPad, more so than the iPhone.

But there's another reason the iPad needs LTE, one that impacts the iPad's future: Faster wireless network bandwidth speed can usher in a whole new class of big, beautiful hosted apps.

Mobile trend spotters already know the value of cloud computing, even in Apple's world. Cloud computing plays a role in nearly all iOS apps, not just popular cloud storage apps such as Dropbox. Just take your Wifi-only iPad out of range and see what you can and can't do with it.

With a faster wireless data network, coupled with wireless optimization technology from companies such as OnLive, hosted apps can deliver an entirely new experience on the iPad.

Imagine a movie producer in Hollywood, a director in London, and a technical director in San Francisco working collaboratively in real-time on their iPads. They're pinching, zooming, adjusting and discussing high-res 3D images with little lag time. The app is industrial-strength Autodesk Maya, which costs more than $3,500. This isn't an iOS lite-version of Maya, but the real thing running on a server.

The only way Maya can run like this on the iPad is via a fast connection and network optimization technology. That's where OnLive, a cloud gaming platform provider, comes in. OnLive stole the spotlight at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas with its Microsoft Office apps on the iPad in a virtual desktop infrastructure environment.

daffy67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me I "want" but don't need LTE. Selling my current Ipad2 in the hope LTE makes it to the next IPad
and in AU released model.
The longer I wait to sell the less $$ I get so it's a risk i take if 4g does not happen

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trick with LTE is timing. The chip price is still higher than it will be in a few months, and the rollout of LTE in the nation is still very limited. The longer Apple waits to install LTE in devices, the better price they will get. A year from now, LTE will be required on tablets and smart phones. Also, LTE is going to be a battery vampire. The iPad is a good choice to bring it out because of the larger battery. Do expect to hear gripes about battery life of the 3/4G models when it does come out.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple will not roll out LTE until the low power chipsets are available in quantity. Another year at least. They are not going to sacrifice battery life. Period.

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be very nice for LTE to be included in the iPad 3, however I can't imagine it to be a major selling point in the UK. The spectrum auction doesn't take place until the first half of 2013, and we have to wait until the end of 2017 for the LTE coverage target to be achieved by a single operator. Out of interest, I took a Autodesk Maya training course a couple of years ago, my mind was blown!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still not interested in LTE if battery life takes a big hit.

This part made me laugh, because this isn't a scenario I'd give a hoot about:

"Imagine a movie producer in Hollywood, a director in London, and a technical director in San Francisco working collaboratively in real-time on their iPads. They're pinching, zooming, adjusting and discussing high-res 3D images with little lag time. The app is industrial-strength Autodesk Maya, which costs more than $3,500. This isn't an iOS lite-version of Maya, but the real thing running on a server."

OP
Milanno

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This part made me laugh, because this isn't a scenario I'd give a hoot about:

"Imagine a movie producer in Hollywood, a director in London, and a technical director in San Francisco working collaboratively in real-time on their iPads. They're pinching, zooming, adjusting and discussing high-res 3D images with little lag time. The app is industrial-strength Autodesk Maya, which costs more than $3,500. This isn't an iOS lite-version of Maya, but the real thing running on a server."

That part made me post this thread. Because when LTE becomes reality on iPad, we finally can say that iPad is no longer device primarily made for fun & surfing.
And that fact makes iPad very interesting for various people who would like to have their tools (programs) always with them ready to accomplish complex tasks.

For example I use Photoshop & Illustrator (programs that requires serious hardware set-up) & it would be amazing to have them on my iPad.

But, like you said, people who will use iPad 3 for fun LTE is nothing special :)

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LTE on an iPad is also nothing special if you have to be tethered to a power outlet...

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 3 selling point will be retina and siri.

Ipad 4's will be LTE and better battery. That is where I will jump to it from my ipad 2...as long as jb is still available.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A lot of places still don't have 3G in the UK and those that do are often times, very slow. This tech is not available in the UK at the moment and if it was, it would probably be a case of trying to run before they can walk. All for faster networking but in the UK at least, we ain't there yet.

OP
Milanno

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of places still don't have 3G in the UK and those that do are often times, very slow. This tech is not available in the UK at the moment and if it was, it would probably be a case of trying to run before they can walk.

Seems I am not informed. Is UK main marketplace for Apple?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What countries currently support 4G LTE? - Quora

Only the red countries accorinding to that map currently have a live LTE network. LTE is obviously a big deal for those who have access to it but given the iPad is a global product, there are many people for whom LTE will not have any impact on their iPad purchasing decision.

OP
Milanno

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think that main trick here is - how fast LTE will be implemented in countries that Apple consider big marketplaces.
If their management saw potential in fast growing LTE, than I am sure iPad 3 will be LTE supported. If they dont see potential, than iPad 4 is reserved for LTE.

Be aware that Apple built his highly respected image in tech. world because he is one that brings fresh technology to customers, that others just cant in that moment.

Most reactions

Latest posts