What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ya wanna get screwd over?

hey_moe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How would ya like to purchase a GPS HD app from the Apple store apps and after ya download it says not compatible with your current Ipad....lol. It says it will work with Ipads. After buying it and getting this message I went to their site and after reading the fine print on the last question in there support area it states it will only work with the 3G I pads. Am I a sucker or what.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It' clearly stated in all the Apple statements that the WiFi version doesn't have GPS and the 3G version does. There are hundreds, if not thousands of reviews that state this fact. And, you should read the requirements before you download any app. I got caught once by forgetting to read the requirements, but it wasn't so bad, I just had to upgrade from iOS 4.1.1 to iOS 4.2.1. Good excuse as any for you to buy a new iPad 2 with 3G and GPS built in.:)

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree if it was this app, it's very vague. At least it's just 99c

mypicture2m.jpg

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So your ignorance is their fault? As others have said, it's a well known fact and published everywhere that wifi ipads don't have gps. If you purchase a bluetooth device that says "requires bluetooth" but only specific bluetooth radios, it's not gonna specify it until the fine print. That's how apple makes their money, people are to button happy without actually looking into things before they buy it.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
nasomi said:
So your ignorance is their fault? As others have said, it's a well known fact and published everywhere that wifi ipads don't have gps. If you purchase a bluetooth device that says "requires bluetooth" but only specific bluetooth radios, it's not gonna specify it until the fine print. That's how apple makes their money, people are to button happy without actually looking into things before they buy it.

I have a 16g wifi only, and I do have gps in mine. It is surely not getting my location thru Wifi. When I load google maps, I can see it following me where ever I go (from location to location of course)

Or do I have a 3G without knowing it for the price of a wifi only? That would be cool ;)

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Random (but related) question. Why do the wifi only iPads not have GPS?

Do the 3G models just have some fake GPS that relies on cell towers (and thus you'd have to have a 3G plan and 3G reception)?

Just seemed odd to me since my Garmin in the car obviously doesn't have 3G! :D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I have a 16g wifi only, and I do have gps in mine. It is surely not getting my location thru Wifi. When I load google maps, I can see it following me where ever I go (from location to location of course)

Or do I have a 3G without knowing it for the price of a wifi only? That would be cool ;)

Yes, I know mine does it also but it doesn't work like my GPS. This is what I read as to how its able to do it.
"The iPad can use Wi-Fi network trilateration from Skyhook Wireless to provide location information to applications such as Google Maps."

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's simple

3G iPads draw the signal transmitted, wherever they are moved to, so long as they are in 3GS range. Wifi only cannot receive the signal as you move around (no 3GS!) and who needs GPS in their living room?

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But again, why not put in a GPS chip like car GPS units have. Those don't need any kind of internet signal.

Just curious. I have no interest in using a 10" tablet as a GPS! I love my Garmin Nuvi 1350lmt!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The GPS functionality is part of the 3G radio. No 3G, no GPS.

Putting another GPS unit in for just the wifi only iPad, not to mention finding one that fits right into the space where the 3G radio would be, was apparently not workable. Certainly not for a device that was going to be the lower-cost model.

The WiFi only iPad uses WiFi location services. It does not use Skyhook though. Apple stopped using Skyhook beginning with the release of the iPad. They now use their own database of WiFi locations... helped by feedback from users (such as iPhones and 3G iPads).

The 3G iPad can and does also use WiFi location services.

Michael

Last edited:

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and who needs GPS in their living room?[/QUOTE]
Ooh perhaps it's a big living room with secret doors,pool tables,chairs and sofas to navigate around LOL

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Sjwred said:
and who needs GPS in their living room?
Ooh perhaps it's a big living room with secret doors,pool tables,chairs and sofas to navigate around LOL[/QUOTE]

Kinda like George Carlin once said;

Some people need all the gadgets, like the moron with the riding lawn mower with the two tone horn and the GPS system in case they get lost...on the lawn! >.<

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I go to places with no 3G/EDGE service, but need GPS function. And I go places that are miles from wifi. So both functions are dear to me. The nice thing, is when I do have both, it aides my navigation and allows me to locate gas stations, restaurants, stores, etc. If I need to find a Lowe's or Wal-Mart, I can do that and get directions to where ever. I also can check gas prices. Just that feature has saved me a lot of money over the past few months.

Most reactions

Latest posts