What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrong date

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad Air shows on the top black line Wednesday, September 12!

According to my 100-year calendar, the next date like that would be in 2018 and then 2035!

My Calendar shows the correct date and time and so do all apps.

So what's causing this? How do I get read of it

I have the latest software.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Wildfire...I don't have an answer to your question, but deleted your other post. I see that you posted again in the correct section...so hopefully it gets answered. Duplicates can be confusing for members to read and help...thanks for your understanding!

Skimonkey ~

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My mistake in posting and not knowing how to delete it before posting in the correct section

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tired the old standbys - restart or reset the iPad?

To do (apologies if you know):

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, wait a bit, then hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Marilyn

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me of Restart . I had tried Reset without success. Unfortunately Restart didn't solve the problem either. I even tried it without the Passcode.
What would happen if I used General/Reset/Reset Home Screen Layout?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me of Restart . I had tried Reset without success. Unfortunately Restart didn't solve the problem either. I even tried it without the Passcode.
What would happen if I used General/Reset/Reset Home Screen Layout?

The folders you created will disappear, and the apps you downloaded will fill the homescreens, supposedly not the way you put them.

I'm just wondering where you see date and time. Is it on the lock screen, or in Notification Center? The bar at the top of the iPad only shows the time, not the date.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad you pointed that out to me. There would be no guarantee that Wednesday, September 12 would disappear. Looks as if I'd better wait for another iOS update.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like Johanna said, the status bar does not normally show the date; only the time.

Are you jailbroken? In which case you need to look at your tweaks, and whether they are up to date.

You also say 'black' bar. In iOS 7, there is rarely a black bar; unless you are using an older app that has not been updated for iOS 7.

If you can upload a screen shot that might help.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not jailbroken, running iOS 7.1.2
The black bar shows to the left the signal strength with 5 dots and Verizon 3G. Then, in the center, it shows Wednesday, September 12. Above the day/date is a fairly small indicator of the correct present time. To the right it shows the battery icon with the amount of charge in front, like 50%.
Btw the black bar appears on all screens with apps. However, once I open an app, the annoying day/date is not visible.

How do I get a screen shot?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Press Home and Power button at the same time. A shutter sound will indicate that you were successful. The screenshot can be found in the Photo app.

Then open this site, tap "Upload a File" next to "Post Reply". Choose file, select the album, then the picture, and it will start loading.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe someone is playing a joke.

Check your Wallpaper. It would be possible to edit your normal wallpaper and add a black bar at the top with a bogus (never changing) date just below where the normal time is displayed.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not jailbroken, running iOS 7.1.2
The black bar shows to the left the signal strength with 5 dots and Verizon 3G. Then, in the center, it shows Wednesday, September 12. Above the day/date is a fairly small indicator of the correct present time. To the right it shows the battery icon with the amount of charge in front, like 50%.
Btw the black bar appears on all screens with apps. However, once I open an app, the annoying day/date is not visible.

How do I get a screen shot?

You're describing the status bar. If the time is wrong there, go to Settings - General - Date & Time. Make sure the time zone is set correctly. You can change it manually by tapping the shown time below and sliding to the right day:
image.jpg

If this doesn't help, try enabling "Set Automatically", in case it isn't, turn on Location Services until the right time zone/time is visible. You can turn both off again afterwards.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The time is correct, so is the time zone.
What bugs me is that I have Wednesday, September 12 on there too. As mentioned earlier, 2018 is the next occurrence of a Wednesday, September 12!
I'm trying to get screen shot now. Didn't hear a shutter click the first time.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe someone is playing a joke.

Check your Wallpaper. It would be possible to edit your normal wallpaper and add a black bar at the top with a bogus (never changing) date just below where the normal time is displayed.

Nobody gets to my iPad! So there must be a ghost in this Apple jewel[emoji83]
However, I was using my wife's picture as wallpaper. That doesn't explain a day/date that won't happen till 2018! I know I didn't put it there and nobody else has access or the know how to do it.

Following your advice, I just took one of those stock pictures as wallpaper... et voilà, no more Wednesday, September 12.

Next, I'll put her picture back to see whether the ghost is still there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe your future self from 2018 came back in time to play a joke on yourself. You're not working on a time machine in your basement, by chance?

Most reactions

Latest posts