What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would I run into trouble if I moved my digital copies ...

yober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... from my internal hard disk to an external hard disk? My movie library of digital copies is starting to crowd everything else out. I do not want this moving of files within my iTunes library to count as a transfer to a new device, since it's still on the same computer. I have my suspicions that I will run afoul of the movie companies because the download codes on most of my movies have expired.

Any advice or experience would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did you get the movies originally?

BTW, we'll move this to the iPF Off Topic area since it's about your computer, not an iPad.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. All my movies came from those extra "digital copies" you pay extra for in the packet. You sync 'em up or download 'em based on a time- limited hash. I'm afraid I'd mess that up if I simply copied 'em to a different disk and added them back to the Library.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. All my movies came from those extra "digital copies" you pay extra for in the packet. You sync 'em up or download 'em based on a time- limited hash. I'm afraid I'd mess that up if I simply copied 'em to a different disk and added them back to the Library.

I think you're right. Time to make a call...which is more important.

OP
Y

yober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand. I paid real money for these. Surely there's an acceptable means to get them over and/or re-register them.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Im confused. "extra digital copies" So you are pirating movies? Not paying for them? Sorry If I am headed in the wrong direction here....

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand. I paid real money for these. Surely there's an acceptable means to get them over and/or re-register them.

You can really never own any media, music, movies, etc. outright. The rights holders can set them up to work however they like, it's called DRM. You could probably Google it and find others somewhere that may have a workaround.

Best of luck!

OP
Y

yober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Im confused. "extra digital copies" So you are pirating movies? Not paying for them? Sorry If I am headed in the wrong direction here....

No, you can get just the movie (and relates tidbits), or pay a little extra and get the 3 disk version which has an extra copy that you can download to your computer via iTunes. Once there. It can be moved to the device of your choice as long as you have an active Internet connection at the time for validation purposes. It was designed that way.

My dilemma is that I'm not moving them to a new computer, I'm off-loading them to my external hard drive (connected to it) to make room for other things on my laptop.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you can get just the movie (and relates tidbits), or pay a little extra and get the 3 disk version which has an extra copy that you can download to your computer via iTunes. Once there. It can be moved to the device of your choice as long as you have an active Internet connection at the time for validation purposes. It was designed that way.

My dilemma is that I'm not moving them to a new computer, I'm off-loading them to my external hard drive (connected to it) to make room for other things on my laptop.

I have some of those, but I've never tried moving them. Worst case you can try moving them and if they don't work, start looking for a workaround before you wipe the originals.

Most reactions