What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would I be Wrong to buy an iPad2

asimmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All

This would be my first Apple purchase,and I mainly want it to run Garageband.

I will hook up the iPad2 to an Alesis IO Dock,then I can transfer all the stuff I do in
Garageband to my PC.

My question is,would I be wrong to buy an ipad 2 and would it be so outdated when
the next version comes out that it will not be compatible with the Apps I need.

Bearing in mind what I want it fr would a 32gig be big enough?

Your comments appreciated

Thanks

Alan

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, not at all. The iPad 2 is still an active product so there is no way you can be "wrong" to buy it. As long as your main use is the run Garageband, I don't see how you will suffer. If you later decide you want to take advantage of other features that the iPad 3 has, then you might wish you had bought an iPad 3, but who can predict the future? If you think the iPad 2 meets your needs right now, I say go for it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with AQ_OC--the ipad 2 should work just fine for you. Many of us here use the iPad 2 without incident.

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly the only real difference in computing power between the 2 and 3 is the 1gb ram. All the extra graphics power goes towards the screen anyways.

You should be perfectly fine on the 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you ever intend to use the iPad as a reader or photo apps then it may be worthwhile to go with the iPad 3.

Just thought that Many people buy it with the intent to use it for one thing but then discover other uses for it.

For garage band the iPad 2 is sweet.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe as others have stated here. If as you stated Garage Band is what you will be using the iPad for almost exclusively then ipad2 will do fine.

Again if the iPad is not intended to be a storage device for large amounts of music, movies, or pictures I might even consider a 16GB model.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
I believe as others have stated here. If as you stated Garage Band is what you will be using the iPad for almost exclusively then ipad2 will do fine.

Again if the iPad is not intended to be a storage device for large amounts of music, movies, or pictures I might even consider a 16GB model.

Agreed. The 16GB model gets a bad rep but that's from people that store ever song and movie they own on the thing. I'm about to get an iPad 2 for my daughter and I too was concerned about it staying current and having enough space. I think she'll be fine with the 16GB model.

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my daughter the iPad2 WiFi and she loves it. It will meet all her needs for sure.

moose404

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. I started with an iPad2 but sold it after 3 weeks to get the iPad3. I did this because of my photography and video interests. In both cases I got the 16GB version since I don't plan to store large files on the iPad (don't need to with iCloud and Drop Box apps). With the HDMI adapter I can stream (using AirPlayit app) just about any video format to the iPad connected to my big screen TV. I also use Skype with it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. The 16GB model gets a bad rep but that's from people that store ever song and movie they own on the thing. I'm about to get an iPad 2 for my daughter and I too was concerned about it staying current and having enough space. I think she'll be fine with the 16GB model.

I don't store any music or movies on mine (I have an airstash and can stream those)...and I have more than 32 GB of apps alone. Different people have different ways to use storage space.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you should be fine with the iPad 2. That said, if you have the funds available the new iPad is amazing. It all comes down to if you think the extra 100 bucks is worth it.

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I agree with Skimonkey. And everything is OK with my iPad2 since the release of the iPad 3. No need to worry about, just go for it.

Reaction score
If you do a lot of reading on your device, I'd go with the new one. I've had it since it came out and still am amazed by it's clarity, sharpness and legibility even at very tiny point sizes.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is still one of the best tablets on the market, and now offers seriously good value for money

Most reactions

Latest posts