What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would an iPad 2 3G bought in America work in Ireland?

laura331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the iPad 2 3G from America. would the 3G work in Ireland? How do you pay for the 3G? and do you need a sim card? do you pay like top up? I would mostly use the WiFi.
most importantly would the 3G work?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the iPad 2 3G from America. would the 3G work in Ireland? How do you pay for the 3G? and do you need a sim card? do you pay like top up? I would mostly use the WiFi.

In the US there are two different 3G models of iPad available - the AT&T model and the Verizon model. Only the AT&T model will work outside the US and a very few other countries. The AT&T model is GSM, so it's on the same standard as mobile phones and mobile broadband that the rest of the world is on. Yes, you need a SIM card. The AT&T model in the US is pre-fitted with an AT&T SIM card that can be authorised online in the US. If you want to use it in the US then you can pre-pay for service there using your regular credit card - a bit like purchasing goods online. When you get back to Ireland you can sign up with an Irish mobile broadband carrier and replace the AT&T SIM card with an Irish SIM card.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ATT model.

Then you can simply purchase a local pre-pay microSIM when you arrive and fit it into the iPad and it will work no problem. AT&T iPads are not carrier-locked, so there's no problem. Your basic SIM card would work there too, but you'd be charged roaming rates, which would be very expensive. It's almost always easier to purchase a local microSIM. The only precaution you might want to take is that microSIMs (the sort used by the iPad) are not so common yet. A 'normal' SIM won't fit the iPad. But the difference between the two is simply that a microSIM has had some of the excess plastic trimmed off a normal SIM. You can buy a SIM cutter (see Amazon) to do this yourself - it's very easy - and it might be worth taking one as a precaution in case you can't get a microSIM easily.

Tim

jackllittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad in Ireland and Northern Ireland

In the US there are two different 3G models of iPad available - the AT&T model and the Verizon model. Only the AT&T model will work outside the US and a very few other countries. The AT&T model is GSM, so it's on the same standard as mobile phones and mobile broadband that the rest of the world is on. Yes, you need a SIM card. The AT&T model in the US is pre-fitted with an AT&T SIM card that can be authorised online in the US. If you want to use it in the US then you can pre-pay for service there using your regular credit card - a bit like purchasing goods online. When you get back to Ireland you can sign up with an Irish mobile broadband carrier and replace the AT&T SIM card with an Irish SIM card.

Tim

I will be traveling to Ireland and Northern Ireland with my iPad 2 3G with AT&T. What will I need to access the Internet from both countries? Will I need two different SIM cards? Also I was told that WiFi will work in some places in both countries. Is that true?

Jack

lkilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi can be used anywhere in the world where there is a WiFi hotspot that allows you access. I have used WiFi on my iPad1 and iPad2 throughout the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. I live in Korea now, and am using a WiFi hotspot with my iPad2 to write this posting. If I wanted to spend 30,000 Won (approximately $30 USD) each month, I could use 3G service in Korea... but since it is easy to find free WiFi in Korea, I opt for the free option.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lkilgore said:
WiFi can be used anywhere in the world where there is a WiFi hotspot that allows you access. I have used WiFi on my iPad1 and iPad2 throughout the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. I live in Korea now, and am using a WiFi hotspot with my iPad2 to write this posting. If I wanted to spend 30,000 Won (approximately $30 USD) each month, I could use 3G service in Korea... but since it is easy to find free WiFi in Korea, I opt for the free option.

Not a bad price. What do you use when you are at home?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Most reactions

Latest posts