What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working with files

JustN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone... New user to the forums and a new user to the iPad, so please beadwork me.

My goal with using my iPad is to try and move away from using my laptop -- the most complex thing I do is some light editing of spreadsheets and documents. Thus far, I am happy with DocsToGo and Quickoffice, they seem to be able to provide all of the features that I will use on a regular basis.

Where I seem to be lost is, how do I keep up with files that I edit or create on the iPad? And to clarify, I have I installed a Netgear ReadyNAS on my home network to keep all of my documents in a central place. I am able to open documents on the ReadyNAS (using the FilesConnect app) and edit using the applications mentioned above, which works well.

However, my issue comes with saving documents BACK to the ReadyNAS... When I finish editing those documents, I am asked to save the file locally, which I do -- but then I cannot find those files within the Files Connect application.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a better application for managing files on an SMB device?

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try DropBox from the app store.
You put DropBox on your iPhone, iPad and computer, and put your active files in the DropBox and they all update/sync so that they are accessible from anywhere you have an Internet, or wifi connection.
I additionally run Print n Share with the printer installed on the NAS shared also on the LAN.
This app also installed on all devices, allowing me to print from any location.
It was very interesting sorting it all out, and also adding the capabilities of "Docs to Go" and "Quick Office Mobile Premium" allowed a comprehensive solution to working from the iPad iPhone laptop or main desktop.

Hope this helps.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tmno2 said:
Try DropBox from the app store.
You put DropBox on your iPhone, iPad and computer, and put your active files in the DropBox and they all update/sync so that they are accessible from anywhere you have an Internet, or wifi connection.

I use DropBox as well, in conjunction with GoodReader (which is turning into a de facto file management system) and Plain Notes, both of which can sync and interface with DropBox for uploads and downloads.

Most reactions

Latest posts