What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

workflow for iPads in Undergraduate Labs

mzadvntr01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm getting ready to deploy iPads in an undergraduate Microbiology lab. My rationale is that using iPads in the lab reduces the chance of contamination of student material, while maintaining the ability to take notes right on the lab, and enhancing the ability of the students to capture visual data. The labs are delivered as pdfs and opened in NoteTaker HD. The document is then annotated via ink or typing, saved and transferred out using DropBox. I've created a short YouTube video detailing the workflow (Google ipadworkflow_0001). I'd appreciate any comments before I submit this to the rest of the faculty. I'm planning on using Maas360 to lock down the ipads and deploy additional apps. The iPads will have screen protectors and be locked in a frame from Maclocks, and set on a stand, but the students will be able to pick up and move the iPads around the bench.
Thanks!

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mzadvntr01 said:
Hi I'm getting ready to deploy iPads in an undergraduate Microbiology lab. My rationale is that using iPads in the lab reduces the chance of contamination of student material, while maintaining the ability to take notes right on the lab, and enhancing the ability of the students to capture visual data. The labs are delivered as pdfs and opened in NoteTaker HD. The document is then annotated via ink or typing, saved and transferred out using DropBox. I've created a short YouTube video detailing the workflow (Google ipadworkflow_0001). I'd appreciate any comments before I submit this to the rest of the faculty. I'm planning on using Maas360 to lock down the ipads and deploy additional apps. The iPads will have screen protectors and be locked in a frame from Maclocks, and set on a stand, but the students will be able to pick up and move the iPads around the bench.
Thanks!

Cant find fault with workflow, only other suggestion is perhaps a note taking app or PDF editor that already supports direct Dropbox integration which removes the open in step of the workflow.

Further you need to ask yourself how important is the Note taking workflow in terms of freehand and rich text notes, speed of use with tools and palettes may also play a part.

brian_casey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see what use the iPads would be for students to collaborate on labs or other projects. As a high school teacher, I have been using Evernote to share files, notes, etc. with my students. I also use it for my own personal note-keeping and keeping track of articles and papers for grad school.

Most reactions

Latest posts