What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word Documents

klehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi If this has been discussed previously, I apologize ahead of time for repeating. When I receive a word document in an email on my iPad, is there something out there that will open it? I am willing to pay for an app if it is good. Recommendations, suggestions? Thanks!:ipad-front:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad tip's

Hi If this has been discussed previously, I apologize ahead of time for repeating. When I receive a word document in an email on my iPad, is there something out there that will open it? I am willing to pay for an app if it is good. Recommendations, suggestions? Thanks!:ipad-front:

No need to paid (or maybe a beer to me) .... mail read document in {DOT} doc or DOCX

so ne worry la

but for edit you should have Pages (9,99 $)

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to tap on the doc attachment in the mail message to view it.

As IpadOne said you will need to get Pages to edit it.

I highly recommend you check out the Guided Tours on Apples site. They will show you how to use the Appple Apps.
Apple - iPad - Guided Tours

OP
K

klehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's just it, it won't open, it says 'mail cannot open this attachment'. I will read guided tour, thanks

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the extension on the file you are trying to open? I just tried to open a .doc (word file) that was attached to a mail message and it opened fine.

OP
K

klehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its a doc file. Strange huh? From what I have read it should open.

gjperera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gilsmethod.com
its a doc file. Strange huh? From what I have read it should open.

Sounds like there may be a problem with the file being corrupted...I'd have that person resend or try opening it on another device. The native Mail client on the iPad should open with no problem.

OP
K

klehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's really strange but you guys were right, it was the file. I was able to open it on my pc but still not on my ipad. This morning I received another word doc and it opened fine. It was something with that one document, the ipad did not like.

I was looking at the Pages tutorial, it looks like it'd be a handy thing to have. Has anyone tried it? Is it as east as it looks? Thank you all for your help

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's really strange but you guys were right, it was the file. I was able to open it on my pc but still not on my ipad. This morning I received another word doc and it opened fine. It was something with that one document, the ipad did not like.

I was looking at the Pages tutorial, it looks like it'd be a handy thing to have. Has anyone tried it? Is it as east as it looks? Thank you all for your help

Klehan , welcome to ask we will enjoy to reply (if we can)

i have use several years word, but from almost 3 years i use pages (even i have word in my Mac) i really prefer it ... but it also depend on you're taste and usage ...

gjperera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gilsmethod.com

I've been using it as well, like a previous poster mentioned it does take some getting used to, specially if you come from the Word world...in my case I've been using it mostly via the wireless keyboard from apple, but have also used it with on-screen and it's pretty simple to use.

Ronanb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK a document is received by mail or opened on line - can it be saved? If so, how?

rwsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you open the document in Pages, it is automatically saved in the app's documents "folder". Any changes you make from then on are saved as well. If you want to retrieve the document for use elsewhere, you can export it as a Word document in an email or retrieve it in iTunes on your computer when you are synching.

Ronanb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saving Documents

I was surfing on Safari and came upon a book in PDF. I had no problem opening it, but I wanted to save it. Is that possible?

Most reactions

Latest posts