What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wont get email updates

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to get updates, the sound the iPad makes when you get a new email, everything I got an email. I have noticed that when I open my email, it updates and makes the sound. But it used to notify my when my email wasn't opened and in sleep mode. It no longer does.

Any insight? In on a 32GB wifi iPad 2 with iOS 5 installed. Email notifications are turned on along with every notification I want on. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I don't recall hearing the email audio alert unless my iPad's Mail App was active...not necessarily opened to Mail on the screen, but active (in the background/wait state). But that sounds like what you may be talking about? I still get the audio alert if Mail is open in the background and the unread message count increases on the Mail icon on the home screen. Is it possible that your Mail program was closed?

Also, is it possible that Mail's "Push" setting was changed? You can check here:
  1. Settings App
  2. Mail, Contacts, Calendars
  3. Fetch New Data
  4. Push "On"
If all else fails restarting or resetting the iPad can often cure things...
  • Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.
  • Reset the iPad: if restarting the iPad didn't work then you will need to reset the iPad. You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.
I can't think of anything else that would cause that. Perhaps others will chime in (give it some time...there are thousands of folks on our forum at any one time..they're bound to find your post soon!)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
TrxSlash

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the mail app. How do I make sure that it is open in the background? And everything is on.

Edit... Push is on and I selected every 15 minutes for the fetch schedule when push is unavailable. I will now try and restart my iPad.

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the mail app. How do I make sure that it is open in the background? And everything is on.

Edit... Push is on and I selected every 15 minutes for the fetch schedule when push is unavailable. I will now try and restart my iPad.

To see which apps are open press the Home button twice. The app tray will be revealed at the bottom of the screen. All of the open app icons will be displayed. To close any tap and hold one of the icons until they all start to jiggle. A red circle with a minus sign will appear. Tap that to close any app. Although opened apps that aren't being used go into a "wait state" (to allow multitasking) it's a good idea to periodically close any that you aren't planning on using. Most don't but some still use the iPad's memory and closing them can free things up to run a bit faster. Here's what the screen looks like when the tray is revealed (click for full-sized picture):

Screen Shot 2011-10-20 at 7.24.09 PM.png

Once you've opened the Mail App it would show up in that tray. If you don't close it, it will continue to run in the background.

Let us know how it goes!

OP
TrxSlash

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it! I restarted my iPad And that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

Also, you don't need to double tap the home button if you are on an iPad 2, use 4 fingers and swipe up will reveal the 'dock.' just a little additional info for who else reads this.

Thanks again!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it! I restarted my iPad And that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

Also, you don't need to double tap the home button if you are on an iPad 2, use 4 fingers and swipe up will reveal the 'dock.' just a little additional info for who else reads this.

Thanks again!

Yes, you can use the multitasking gestures for several things. Glad it all worked out.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gestures are for iPad 2 not for iPad 1 at the moment. Fingers and toes crossed!!

Most reactions

Latest posts