What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won't charge & won't connect to iTunes.

biffsbiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been fighting this for a few weeks. One time for about a day my iPad did charge and did sync, but it stopped again about five days ago. I have tried other official cables and official charge pucks. All were the 10w/2A official variety. Strangely, the iPad will charge very slowly on an official charger if the iPad is is turned completely off. I have tried both reset methods, from on and from off. Any ideas besides a factory reset?

By official, I mean the official and correct Apple products.

I get the "Not Charging" notification.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to ask the stupid question, but: You are charging via the wall socket, not the computer, right? Cause most computers don't push out enough power to charge the iPad, even with the iPad charger.

If that's a yes, then my only suggestion, given that you said you are using the 10W/2A iPad charger, is to take the charger and the iPad to the Apple store. Take the charger to tell them it's not working (they should replace it) and the iPad to test the new charger to make sure that it IS the charger.

Cause something is defective there - I'm hoping that it's your charger, not your iPad.

Marilyn

OP
biffsbiz

biffsbiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Indeed

Yes, iPad wall chargers. Tried two different iPad wall chargers and cables as I mentioned. My friend's iPad (which was my old 32gb version) syncs and charges fine with either cable or charger. I noticed in many other threads about this problem ppl usually used an iPod or USB chargers that didn't have the iPad's required power output. So I am trying to be clear about that. There isn't an Apple Store within about 500 miles of here. I was hoping that someone had something new to suggest.

OP
biffsbiz

biffsbiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need help before I drive 500 miles to an Apple Store

Would doing a factory reset make any difference?

Also, I have purchased apps on my iPad that are not backed-up to iTunes yet, will I be able to get those again without paying again?

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biffsbiz said:
Would doing a factory reset make any difference?

Also, I have purchased apps on my iPad that are not backed-up to iTunes yet, will I be able to get those again without paying again?

You can redownload them at any time in the app store app by selecting the Purchased option. Same with iTunes.

At this point, I would try anything and everything there is to try. Including the power button/home button option to reset and full restore via iTunes. Anything to narrow it down from a software issue to a hardware issue. .

OP
biffsbiz

biffsbiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Completely Reset iPad

I finally completely reset the iPad. It has nothing on it. It wants me to connect it to iTunes, but it still won't get recognized by the computer or, of course, iTunes.

Trying to charge it with the correct (10watt) puck and cable, it no longer says "Not Charging", it says nothing, although the iPad does beep when I plug the cable into it.

I will try charging it overnight, with the iPad completely off. I don't expect any change though.

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like hardware issues to me. I'd call Apple and explain your situation and see what they can do to rectify the problem.

OP
biffsbiz

biffsbiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like hardware issues to me. I'd call Apple and explain your situation and see what they can do to rectify the problem.

Yes. I tried to connect the iPad to a different computer. Failed.

I called Apple and they went through all the steps I'd already done and decided that it needs replacement.

Express replacement won't work for me because I'm remote and don't have a street address. They won't ship to my Post Office box. My Post Office box is only about a 100 mile round trip, but Apple won't ship the replacement there.

So, I need to drive 500+ miles to one of the 4 Apple Stores in the Phoenix area for a replacement. Then I need to drive 500+ miles back home.

Very inconvenient and expensive for a warranty replacement. Why don't they like U.S. Mail, fer chrissakes?

Most reactions

Latest posts