What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With iOS, no more cable tv...

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I don't watch a lot of tv, but as everybody, cable tv is better than "rabbit" tv...

Since I got my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad and Apple TV 2), I dropped the cable tv and went completely "online"... I do have unlimited Internet access so I might as well enjoy it...

In Canada, most major tv network have provided an app to watch their featured shows on the iPad and sometime on the iPhone.
- CBC
- Radio-Canada
- GlobalTV
- CityTV

Most do support AirPlay (CBC joined the rank yesterday with an updated app) so I can start the show on my iPad and watch on the tv via the apple tv 2...

Since the Apple TV 2 is supporting Netflix, I can watch a bunch of movies for 8$ a month. Add podcasts to that, I can watch the evening news from CBC, watch all kinds of web shows using the iTunes podcast library...

And online radios are in the bundle too, so I get tv, movies, radio in a single device, on a single bill, at no extra cost. I can watch my favorite show when I want, pause, resume, and almost without ads... This is paradise. I'm no more waiting, recording, renting and returning, getting angry cause i've seen the ad a million time in the last 30 minutes... All is on demand, at my pace.

Justin.tv is providing additional feeds, and more apps are making my tv watching a better and more efficient experience. Instead of watching 2 hours of tv for my favorite shows, I can do it in in 1.5 hours because there are no ads...

And as a bonus, I can watch a movie or a show on the tv, stop in the middle to leave the house and continue it while waiting at my doctors office...

Almost everything is available on the net, so why keep that cable tv selection, filled with ads, reality shows, annoying channels that I don't want?

VicoPad addict!

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you have unlimited bandwidth in Canada. The crtc is allowing bell and all major companies to charge if you over the limit. I only get 30gb a month and I have to share that with my family.

This the only reason why I still have cable

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
GenerationX said:
How do you have unlimited bandwidth in Canada. The crtc is allowing bell and all major companies to charge if you over the limit. I only get 30gb a month and I have to share that with my family.

This the only reason why I still have cable

I am with Rogers using their central communication. I found out in February that they do not charge anymore passed 5 gigs over the limit. It is not advertised but I was quite please to find that out and I validated with their customer service. So it's 75$ for 10 gigs (including phone service) then 50$ more for for the extra 5 gigs. And that's it! The maximum bill I can have is 125$, all services included (voice mail, long distance call, etc...)

It's not the fastest bandwidth, but at 7.5 Mb, it's fast enough for any streaming service like Netflix. Because of the unlimited factor, it becomes cheaper then other providers. And I do a lot of broadcasting for a project, the upload bandwidth is at 1.5 Mb and at night, I can go at 3Mb...

VicoPad addict!

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I am with Rogers using their central communication. I found out in February that they do not charge anymore passed 5 gigs over the limit. It is not advertised but I was quite please to find that out and I validated with their customer service. So it's 75$ for 10 gigs (including phone service) then 50$ more for for the extra 5 gigs. And that's it! The maximum bill I can have is 125$, all services included (voice mail, long distance call, etc...)

It's not the fastest bandwidth, but at 7.5 Mb, it's fast enough for any streaming service like Netflix. Because of the unlimited factor, it becomes cheaper then other providers. And I do a lot of broadcasting for a project, the upload bandwidth is at 1.5 Mb and at night, I can go at 3Mb...

VicoPad addict!

Omg thanks dude, after my contract with cogeco, I'm switching providers. I don't really care about speed, I'd much rather be able to use my Internet whenever I want.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
GenerationX said:
Omg thanks dude, after my contract with cogeco, I'm switching providers. I don't really care about speed, I'd much rather be able to use my Internet whenever I want.

Note that long distance are included because I have been for a long time with them, for my iPhone and before that with other cell phones. That's the good thing about being a long time customer, I have all kinds of credits included ;)

VicoPad addict!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drag Bunt said:
Wake me up when I can get live ESPN without cable. I ain't giving up my college football fix.

I get it. I live in NC and I have the time warner cable app, (look it up in the app store)

Pretty much every important channel is on there. So awesome.
But I don't care about espn. :)

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But with the Time Warner Cable App (and the WatchESPN app), you still need a cable tv subscription.

You will need all of the following to use the TWCable TV iPad app:

• Apple iPad
  • TWC video package at the Standard (Expanded Basic) level or higher
  • Wi-Fi connection to Time Warner Cable Internet Service (Road Runner Standard or higher or EarthLink Cable High Speed Standard or CableMax recommended for best experience)
  • A valid Time Warner Cable Username & Password
In other words, you need to have a cable package that includes ESPN to get ESPN on the 'Pad. So you haven't "cut the cord" at all. And ESPN via 3G? Feggetaboutit.

Last edited:

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI: Justin.tv and ATDHE feeds for hockey games are ILLEGAL. Not sure about the whole site, but I Don't want you getting in trouble from the mods. :)

TSN and CBC stream a lot of hockey, yet some channels work exclusively over the Bell 3G network.

My Rogers bill is over 225 bucks a month now - and 75 is for cable I NEVER watch...with an over the air antenna you can get up to 25 channels in HD, so it's a very tempting prospect to switch. I have an HDMI jack on my TV, and the iPad connector...so I can watch Netflix on the TV.

ALSO, unbeknownst to many of my fellow Canadians, the popular cloud browsers (iswifter, Puffin, Skyfire), are based in the U.S. So for the first time at home, we can watch Hulu and comedy central and other goodies!! :D

Last edited:
OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
antonio107 said:
FYI: Justin.tv and ATDHE feeds for hockey games are ILLEGAL. Not sure about the whole site, but I Don't want you getting in trouble from the mods. :)

TSN and CBC stream a lot of hockey, yet some channels work exclusively over the Bell 3G network.

My Rogers bill is over 225 bucks a month now - and 75 is for cable I NEVER watch...with an over the air antenna you can get up to 25 channels in HD, so it's a very tempting prospect to switch. I have an HDMI jack on my TV, and the iPad connector...so I can watch Netflix on the TV.

ALSO, unbeknownst to many of my fellow Canadians, the popular cloud browsers (iswifter, Puffin, Skyfire), are based in the U.S. So for the first time at home, we can watch Hulu and comedy central and other goodies!! :D

I use Justin for japanese shows mostly as I am currently learning this language. Here in Quebec, antenna broadcast is not really good and what is available is already on the Internet. So I can watch whenever I want.

How come your Rogers bill is that high? Is it the cable fees? I am using the small central unit which acts as a fixed cell providing Internet and a phone line.

VicoPad addict!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I hadn't watched TV for years before iPad. With iPad, I watch TV, though it's basically British TV, via Netflix.

I also rarely watched Netflix before iPad. I now stream British shows, thanks to my husband's subscription. He's always preferred discs to streaming, so we're now getting much more out of Netflix.

I also listen to overseas radio with the TuneIn app.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually just ordered a slingbox so I can stream my live cable tv to my iPad. It will be perfection once football season starts!

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:

I use Justin for japanese shows mostly as I am currently learning this language. Here in Quebec, antenna broadcast is not really good and what is available is already on the Internet. So I can watch whenever I want.

How come your Rogers bill is that high? Is it the cable fees? I am using the small central unit which acts as a fixed cell providing Internet and a phone line.

VicoPad addict!

Yeah, I have a blackberry, cable, internet, and home phone through them. I could stand to ax the home phone, but my mum freaks out when I tell her that, lol!

Most reactions

Latest posts