What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless router no computer only ipad

Sandra41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son has an ipad2 no 3G. He wants wireless in his apt as Xmas present, he has only iPad no other computer. I planned to buy him a router for Xmas and subsidize time Warner roadrunner monthly. However, I have my own
router at home hooked to my computer. Can he use router with no other computer?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
For this to work, you will need to make sure the following is in place:
Modem - connects to the outside.
Router - connects to the modem, processes the connection for wireless or wired devices.

Some devices are combination Modem/Router, however I do not recommend these for the simple fact, one piece breaks, you replace both.

You may have to configure the router with another computer/laptop in order to get it set up the first time. the only device I know will allow you to 100% set up from scratch out of the box with no computer is tha Apple Airport Extreme - there is an iPad app for it that works well (I have this).

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For this to work, you will need to make sure the following is in place:
Modem - connects to the outside.
Router - connects to the modem, processes the connection for wireless or wired devices.

Some devices are combination Modem/Router, however I do not recommend these for the simple fact, one piece breaks, you replace both.

You may have to configure the router with another computer/laptop in order to get it set up the first time. the only device I know will allow you to 100% set up from scratch out of the box with no computer is tha Apple Airport Extreme - there is an iPad app for it that works well (I have this).

I am glad you gave a more detailed answer to his question, as I did not go into any great detail. I am thinking his Father would help him get it working using his computer.

Since I now have the iPad2 and a new Mac Pro, my next router I hope will be the Apple Airport Extreme, that is if it also will allow all my Windows computers to also share it along with my Apple products.

Most reactions

Latest posts