What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless mouse for ipad’

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While you may have had issues with bluetooth mice in the past, I doubt it would be much of an issue on the iPad; as long as you got a decent one. New Accessibility features have even made it possible to assign a limited number of actions to extra buttons on the mouse. I've read several articles on the use of a mouse with the iPad, and heard no complaints about reliability.

I really believe you are complicating your life pursuing the use of a wireless mouse. Using a dongle is a last resort, since it can be lost and requires constant plugging and unplugging to use other devices and keep the iPad charged.

Of course you can use a USB hub style dongle, but even those are a pain. And there is no guarantee it will work with the wireless mouse dongle.

Last edited:
OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, friends, I’ve pretty much made up my mind to go with a Bluetooth mouse. I found a good one on Amazon for less than $16.00. It’s a Microsoft mouse (yes, that’s right) and has excellent reviews from most users. Thanks again to all who’ve helped.

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet, I’m under the impression that Bluetooth mice don’t require a dongle in the iPad, but communicate directly with the iPad. Perhaps I’m wrong in that supposition, so please correct me if so. For example, no dongle is required for my wireless keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerppoet, I’m under the impression that Bluetooth mice don’t require a dongle in the iPad, but communicate directly with the iPad. Perhaps I’m wrong in that supposition, so please correct me if so. For example, no dongle is required for my wireless keyboard.

Correct. Bluetooth devices do not require a dongle with the iPad, or most modern computers/devices.

There was a brief period of time when bluetooth dongles did exist, so that older non-bluetooth computers could use bluetooth mice and keyboards. You'd be hard pressed to find such a computer or dongle these days.

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I just ordered the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse from Amazon this morning. If it doesn't work as expected I will not have lost much, maybe about $17. If that happens I'll just stick with the track pad on the keyboard. :)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it doesn't work as expected I will not have lost much

You should know very quickly whether it is suitable for you or not - almost immediately. Amazon have a very good returns policy.

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Found out my iPad was purchased in June 2020 and is still under limited warranty until 6/21/21. I thought I bought it in 2019 (the year my original iPad was stolen), but was wrong. I waited because I had another computer to use and wasn’t in a rush.

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should know very quickly whether it is suitable for you or not - almost immediately. Amazon have a very good returns policy.

Yes, the new adaptor works perfectly. It’s called a camera adaptor, but works fine with USB drives and wired mouse. :) Ed

Most reactions

Latest posts