What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless mouse for ipad’

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a wireless mouse on Amazon to use on my ipad. I see they all require a receiver to be plugged into your computer’s USB port. Since my ipad doesn’t have a USB port, only a lightning connection, how does one use a wireless mouse in this situation?

I already have a wired mouse which I can use, but it has a male USB-A plug on the end. I can’t seem able to find a lightning to USB-A female adapter. If one exists, could you let me know? I would prefer an adapter that just plugs into my iPad lightning port without wires, if possible. thanks again. Ed

Last edited:
OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, I’ve also noticed that Bluetooth mice are also available, which I assume, don’t require a receiver. Ive tried Bluetooth mice in the past for my PC, but found them to be more problematic than my wired mouse, so I’d rather use that on my ipad, if possible.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad 3 can only run up to iOS 9.3.

Hi Jupiter. - of course, assuming that Ed posted in the correct forum? I think he needs to provide us specific information on the iPad model he is using and the iPadOS installed, along with a pic of the KB/tractpad being used - would really help address his many questions. Dave :)

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 3 can only run up to iOS 9.3.

There are so many iPad iterations out there it's hard to figure what I have. I know I bought this iPad in 2019 after my original one was stolen, so now I think it may be 7th generation. Perhaps I'm on the wrong forum and don't know which one to use. My current device is the standard iPad with, I believe 10.2" screen. so which forum sub group should I be using?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are so many iPad iterations out there it's hard to figure what I have. I know I bought this iPad in 2019 after my original one was stolen, so now I think it may be 7th generation. Perhaps I'm on the wrong forum and don't know which one to use. My current device is the standard iPad with, I believe 10.2" screen. so which forum sub group should I be using?

The model number of your iPad is in the About section of your General settings.

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok, Went to settings. Here's what I found:
software version: 14.4.2
Model name: iPad (7th generation)
Model number: MW742

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BTW, I can't find an adaptor to use my wired mouse on my iPad. It's been impossible to locate a male lightning connector plug to a USB-A female socket. Walmart has dozens of adaptors, but none with female USB. Even going online hasn't helped. Does such an animal even exist? Ed

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts, but I'm on 2 different forums with this question. Someone on another forum sent me this Amazon info. The top 2 pictures appear to be just what I need. They appear to be for downloading from a camera. Will it work with a mouse? What do you think?
Amazon.com : usb female to lightning male

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ok, Went to settings. Here's what I found:
software version: 14.4.2
Model name: iPad (7th generation)
Model number: MW742

Great - searching your model number on EveryMac provides the information shown below; so indeed you have the 7th G iPad which can accept the current iOS version. Dave :)

iPad1.png
iPad2.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts, but I'm on 2 different forums with this question. Someone on another forum sent me this Amazon info. The top 2 pictures appear to be just what I need. They appear to be for downloading from a camera. Will it work with a mouse? What do you think?
Amazon.com : usb female to lightning male

Hi again Ed - first, look at this article on Using External Mouse on Your iPad - both wired and wired options. Your linked Amazon USB-A Female to Lightning are the ones needed if you are plugging in a mouse w/ a Male USB-A connector (not the middle one) should work - NOW, look at the negative comments closely on those to see what problems may exist?

Not sure exactly why you're trying to use KBs & mice w/ your iPad (may help us if you explain), but there is a nifty On-Screen iOS KB trick - see the 2nd pic below from my iPad Pro - I've brought up a doc in Pages - KB appears - a 'press & hold' blanks all of the keys; the simply moving my finger will move the cursor to any position in the document chosen - might eliminate your need for an external mouse? Let us know if this helps. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 6.04.34 PM.png

IMG_2066.PNG

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave, for your helpful research. I’ll check into your recommendations. The reason I like using a mouse rather than track pad is that I’m used to it. In addition, the track pad on my external KB often needs a few taps in the center for it to work properly, although I can live with it. A new keyboard wouldn’t cost much, either.

ive taken more interest in my iPad recently because my trusty Toshiba laptop is getting long in the tooth, and I may elect to use my iPad as a viable replacement. My (Windows) laptop is still working surprisingly well, but I like to be proactive. :)

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems like some of my posts are disappearing, don’t know why. Anyhow, I wanted to thank Dave (giradman) for his helpful research, as well as all who responded on this thread

Most reactions

Latest posts