What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Seat Geek!

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my favorite book:
Amazon.com: Window Seat: Reading the Landscape from the Air

Here are some of my own photos:
picasaweb.google.com/Nonie3234/FromThePlane2009IN
picasaweb.google.com/Nonie3234/FromThePlane2009OUT

BUT - I've always wondered what I'm looking at from the window seat. What's that lake? That city? That hole in the ground?

I'm very hopeful that my next trip will be 100 times more informative with an iPad in my lap this time.

So - here's my question: What apps would you recommend for me to be able to follow my plane's route on a map with all the places labeled? Of course - these apps would have to work in "airplane mode", so - I'm thinking Google Maps with the GPS enabled would be out.

Maybe there are static maps I can get, then get the flight path from the airline and overlay that? I don't know. I'm open to any suggestion!

Thank you so much!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course - these apps would have to work in "airplane mode"...
If you fly on Delta, they offer in-flight WiFi (for a fee, of course!). We flew on Delta last year over Thanksgiving (when WiFi was free!), and it worked amazingly well.

If you happen to be on an airline that offers in-flight WiFi, the Flight Aware website allows you to track any flight in real time.

FlightAware > Live Flight Tracker

OP
Nonie3234

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, you guys! I knew about Google Earth, but I didn't think about using it in flight. And Flight Tracker is something new to me - I'll go pick it up right now!

Any other suggestions for apps for Geography fans? I've got Earth Observer and History: Maps of the World, and some others but I'd appreciate hearing about other people's favorites, too.

windowseatapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try WindowSeat for iOS. Search Google for "WindowSeat App"

I hope you will share in our dream to provide an in-flight map on everyone's mobile device. We are continually working to improve WindowSeat. If you have suggestions for improvements, we would love to hear from you.

This is my favorite book:
Amazon.com: Window Seat: Reading the Landscape from the Air

Here are some of my own photos:
picasaweb.google.com/Nonie3234/FromThePlane2009IN
picasaweb.google.com/Nonie3234/FromThePlane2009OUT

BUT - I've always wondered what I'm looking at from the window seat. What's that lake? That city? That hole in the ground?

I'm very hopeful that my next trip will be 100 times more informative with an iPad in my lap this time.

So - here's my question: What apps would you recommend for me to be able to follow my plane's route on a map with all the places labeled? Of course - these apps would have to work in "airplane mode", so - I'm thinking Google Maps with the GPS enabled would be out.

Maybe there are static maps I can get, then get the flight path from the airline and overlay that? I don't know. I'm open to any suggestion!

Thank you so much!

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would be fun to play with. I have to sit in a window seat, as I'm claustrophobic and freak out if I can't see out the window. Weird how that works because I'm scared to death of heights. But I can fly like that with no problem at all.

OP
Nonie3234

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WindowSeat for iOS

This is WONDERFUL! Thank you!

Try WindowSeat for iOS. Search Google for "WindowSeat App"

I hope you will share in our dream to provide an in-flight map on everyone's mobile device. We are continually working to improve WindowSeat. If you have suggestions for improvements, we would love to hear from you.

Most reactions

Latest posts