What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will they exchange even for mild backlight bleeding issue?

julietz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dent at the charging port of my ipad2 and now I am unable to insert the charging cable into my ipad2.

I brought it back to apple service center today and they told me that they can't fix this and it is not covered under warranty due to cosmetic fault. I have to pay US$350+ to get an exchange for a new set. This is ridiculous since my ipad 2 is only 2 weeks old! Furthermore I didn't even drop my ipad2 so I don't know why there is a dent there.

After researching online, I came to know about the backlight bleeding issue. I test on my set and noticed that there are some mild bleeding only if I turned up the brightness and put it in the darkroom. So I called up apple store and they told me that I can bring it down for exchange.

However, I'm worried if they would actually reject my exchange since the bleeding isn't major and that there is a dent at the port.

Anyone can advise me?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dent at the charging port of my ipad2 and now I am unable to insert the charging cable into my ipad2.

I brought it back to apple service center today and they told me that they can't fix this and it is not covered under warranty due to cosmetic fault. I have to pay US$350+ to get an exchange for a new set. This is ridiculous since my ipad 2 is only 2 weeks old! Furthermore I didn't even drop my ipad2 so I don't know why there is a dent there.

After researching online, I came to know about the backlight bleeding issue. I test on my set and noticed that there are some mild bleeding only if I turned up the brightness and put it in the darkroom. So I called up apple store and they told me that I can bring it down for exchange.

However, I'm worried if they would actually reject my exchange since the bleeding isn't major and that there is a dent at the port.

Anyone can advise me?

I am surprised they wouldn't change it for you. You'll see in this Forum that Members have reported that Apple are operating an unofficial, once-only, exchange on damaged iPads as a goodwill gesture. We have had no reports so far of exchanges being refused. It may be that the individual employee was unaware of this policy, so I would definitely return to the Store and try again. If the employee refuses to exchange it, then ask to speak to a Manager. Don't be afraid to say that you're posting your experiences on iPad Forum - the thought of the negative publicity might make them think a little harder about their decision.

Let us know how you get on.

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Anyone can advise me?

I am surprised they wouldn't change it for you. You'll see in this Forum that Members have reported that Apple are operating an unofficial, once-only, exchange on damaged iPads as a goodwill gesture. We have had no reports so far of exchanges being refused. It may be that the individual employee was unaware of this policy, so I would definitely return to the Store and try again. If the employee refuses to exchange it, then ask to speak to a Manager. Don't be afraid to say that you're posting your experiences on iPad Forum - the thought of the negative publicity might make them think a little harder about their decision.

Tim

Tim is spot on, I have yet to hear of anyone being refused. Perhaps the employee was having a bad day! Quoting IPF to the manager should help too!

OP
J

julietz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm heading back to the store after work to get them to do an exchange for me for backlight bleeding issue and see if they will. However I'm located in Singapore so I'm not sure if the unofficial once-only, exchange on damaged iPads applies in my country too.

OP
J

julietz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Anyone can advise me?

Tim

Tim is spot on, I have yet to hear of anyone being refused. Perhaps the employee was having a bad day! Quoting IPF to the manager should help too!

What does IPF stands for?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipf

Tim

What does IPF stands for?

Sorry, IPF= I Pad Forum (us here :D)

OP
J

julietz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just got a rude reply from the service staff when i called up to check if they know about the unofficial exchange...

the staff told me over the phone "we don't do anything unofficial. you've got to pay."

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just got a rude reply from the service staff when i called up to check if they know about the unofficial exchange...

the staff told me over the phone "we don't do anything unofficial. you've got to pay."

OK - that probably wasn't a good idea. Members simply turn up at the store and then the iPads are exchanged. By 'unofficial' we meant exactly that, Apple won't acknowledge it, it's not common knowledge, they don't publish it, they won't 'admit' it. By confronting the store employees they would have had to acknowledge that the policy exists - in which case it would no longer be 'unofficial'......

So you might want to make sure that you turn up at the store when that particular employee is not present. Remember, it's unofficial, you have no 'right' to expect them to do this, but they always have in the past.

Be careful, be polite, be courteous to them and it might work.

Is there more than one Apple Store near you? If so, I'd try a different store.

Good Luck

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, " Unofficial" means just that. Politeness and courtesy work they really do :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take it back for the bleeding issue, you shouldn't have any issues.

cusechamps2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take it back for the bleeding issue, you shouldn't have any issues.

Last week I called Apple directly as I too had minor blacklight bleeding. Over the phone they took care of me. I told them right away it was blacklight bleeding and they didn't even ask another question and just stated it was a known problem. Received a new ipad2 to my door in literally 4 days (had to buy the protection program to receive support without trecking an hour away to the nearest Apple store which would have cost me the 79.00 dollars in gas). I thought it was excellent CS, and you should not have an issue either.

OP
J

julietz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An update about my case:

I went back to the service center and they say that there is no such unofficial exchange in my country and they will not be able to do anything unless I pay.

So the disappointed me decided to give apple hotline a call. I spoke to a customer service officer and explained to him about my case and that I was refuse of help at my local service center (which I was later informed by them that it was an outsource service center). The guy who spoke to me was pretty surprised that the people did not offer any help to me at all.

After explaining to him about my dent, he passed me to a senior adviser who gladly sympathized with me and said that he would investigate this case and see what's the best they can do for me.

2 days later, he called me back and told me that they understand that I have been a loyal apple supporter since from the system they can see that I owned lots of apple products and had never had any incident nor fault cases filed with them. So out of kind gesture and in order to regain my trust in them, they will be replacing my spoiled ipad2 for free...YEAH!

He told me to bring it back to the outsource service center and if they refuse to serve me or allow me to exchange for free, just ask them to give him a call and he would spoke to them on my behalf.

Now this is what I call customer service =)
I'm a satisfied and faithful supporter of apple now.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There you go! And a Smack on the hand for the store you returned it to I should think! Glad you are getting a new one :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An update about my case:

I went back to the service center and they say that there is no such unofficial exchange in my country and they will not be able to do anything unless I pay.

So the disappointed me decided to give apple hotline a call. I spoke to a customer service officer and explained to him about my case and that I was refuse of help at my local service center (which I was later informed by them that it was an outsource service center). The guy who spoke to me was pretty surprised that the people did not offer any help to me at all.

After explaining to him about my dent, he passed me to a senior adviser who gladly sympathized with me and said that he would investigate this case and see what's the best they can do for me.

2 days later, he called me back and told me that they understand that I have been a loyal apple supporter since from the system they can see that I owned lots of apple products and had never had any incident nor fault cases filed with them. So out of kind gesture and in order to regain my trust in them, they will be replacing my spoiled ipad2 for free...YEAH!

He told me to bring it back to the outsource service center and if they refuse to serve me or allow me to exchange for free, just ask them to give him a call and he would spoke to them on my behalf.

Now this is what I call customer service =)
I'm a satisfied and faithful supporter of apple now.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!!

Most reactions