What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the iPad Pro replace your Laptop or your smaller iPad?

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We had all the same questions when the iPhone 6 Plus came out, because the new size was a crossover between the earlier iPhones and the iPad (i.e. will you still use the iPad if you have the 6 Plus).

There are a lot of pros and cons of the new iPad Pro that keeps it from replacing either your laptop or your smaller iPad. All the reviews I've read have suggested its a bit too big for comfortable bedtime reading or TV bingeing, so the smaller iPad has a plus there. At the same time, the fact that it runs iOS, and not Mac OS makes it more limited than a laptop. Its kind of nicely placed in the middle.

Do you think you'll find yourself using all three Apple Devices:iPad (or any similar sized tablet), iPad Pro, AND a Mac (or PC)?

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I get the Pro (still waiting for MacMall to ship it) I don't think it will replace my MacBook Air completely. Maybe my Surface though... I went to bestbuy today to check out the display unit and luckily they had it on display. It was Space Gray like the one I ordered. It was all I could do not to just cancel my MacMall order and buy it today but I figure I'll give it some time. I was very impressed with it. Played around with it for about half an hour or so. It's really big. The videos on YouTube don't do it justice in that respect IMO... I wish I could say that it would replace my MacBook Air but there are some things I can't do on an iPad especially with the desktop version of Evernote. If it weren't for that then maybe it could. I plan to use it a lot though, mostly for browsing the web, watching movies and YouTube, calendar, email etc... Same as my other iPads in the past. Only super sized! Can't wait to get mine! They are now saying its back ordered till the 21st of Nov but they have changed to date back and forth on me so many times since I ordered it on the 7th that I honestly am not going to sweat it. It'll come when it comes... I just hope it's sooner rather than later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iJeffrey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think consumers will jump to the Pro or even think of it as a computer replacement. I do believe that companies will jump on quickly as it has corporate value. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well. . . it is replacing my iPad Air, and my iPad's have already replaced my laptop. So, yes.

Not long after I got my iPad 1 (wi-fi + cellular), I realized it had replaced everything I normally did with a laptop when out and about. Actually, it did more, in the sense that I was far more likely to use the iPad 1 when I was mobile than I was to find a wi-fi hotspot, a place to sit down, pull out my laptop, wait for it to start up, and finally do whatever it was I had in mind to do.

The iPad was much more convenient for short interactions, was ideal for reading and looking things up, and was usable for email and some basic text entry. The laptop was better for the last two, but not better enough to make it worth the extra setup time and location limitations.

So, I sent my MacBook to my younger sister. I've only occasionally regretted not having a laptop, but not enough to bother going back to one. My most recent temptation back to the laptop was the introduction of the new generation MacBook. Not because I want what it could do, but because it was such a cool computer.

When it comes to cool and desirable, the new iPad Pro totally eclipses the new MacBook. Not just because it is newer (every tech lover's weakness), but because it fits my my life style much better.

But, I have to admit if it were not for the iPhone 6 plus I'd be a lot more cautious about getting an iPad Pro. Before the new iPhone I had a tendency to tote my iPad just about everywhere; just in case I wanted to read something, or had a few minutes to kill. With the larger phone I now leave the iPad at home unless I know I'll have some sit down time, and something I want to do that will be worth pulling out the iPad's bigger screen.

In other words, I've started treating the iPad a bit more like I used to treat my laptop. That makes the larger size and the probable addition of a keyboard case more acceptable. I get to keep my well loved iOS, instant on, GPS, and everywhere connectivity, but give up some of the portability and handiness of the smaller iPad in exchange for a more powerful device. One that now exceeds (rather than meets) most of my mobile computing needs.

Hold in mind I still have a 27" iMac (which I'm using right now). I'm not iOS only. I have a big screen and lots of storage space when I need them, and since it's OS X, almost everything important I do on the iPhone and iPad have second home at home.

Still, as my iMac ages (it is a 2009), I've started considering whether I need a desktop computer. There are only a few things I do on the iMac that can't be done on iOS, and the larger more capable iPad Pro has eaten into a few of those things. I can definitely see a day when my iMac dies or become unusable, and I decide not to replace it. The only real question is whether that will be this iMac, or the next one.

edit: Too lazy to fix typos and grammar today. Not that I ever catch them all.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad pro has not replaced my laptop. I use both, just depends on what I am doing. My iPhone 6s Plus has pretty much replaced my iPad mini however. With the larger screen, I don't use or carry my Mini around as much. When I am doing work, papers, etc, I tend to use my MacBook.

Now that I have the keyboard for my iPad pro, that may change.

I love all my apple products, so I switch back an forth all the time LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reddrob97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad Pro 9.7 replaces my last ipad hands down! I go from my Iphone 6 Plus on the road all day, and then plug it in the charger when I get home. Then I pickup my Pro 9.7 and take phone callls, text, email, shop, and browse the web, all evening. Yes Apple boasted that the Pro's have the power to compete with laptops, but I dont expect it to come close. Nor do I even want it to! I just want the processing to be on par with a laptop. Dont get why folks want a tablet to replace a laptop. They will always be too different things. The Ipad does keep me from dragging out the laptop mostly, until I need to backup the ipad :)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought my Ipad Pro but I've had an Ipad since first week of Ipad One. I also just migrated from a custom built Win PC to a Macbook Pro 15" in October (when I bought it I did consider buying the Ipad Pro instead but still feel I will need a laptop for the immediate future). Over the years with the ipad I've found I can do most everything from docs, spreadsheets and PDFs to creative work, etc. I'm upgrading from an Air (1) and am absolutely loving the split screen as I do a lot of cut and paste or needing/wanting to be working in multiple apps at once. The one thing I have to go to my Mac is for photo processing in Lightroom and Photoshop where I can access 16 years of files on external harddrives. I did add a wifi drive to use with my Pro for immediate backup but for now have to use the Mac for most photo work. I will say I do like Pixelmator, Leonardo, Photogene and Snapseed on the Ipad for Flickr, etc. And I use the Astropad app on the Ipad in conjunction with my Mac in Photoshop and Lightroom--terrific after years of using a big Wacom graphics tablet. its coming really really close to replacing my laptop but not quite. However, I use it 98% of the time I imagine.

I kept my 9.7" Air mostly for streaming (it needs a lot of charging during the day now) but used it for secondary map (I also just by luck, have Car Play in my new Chevy Colorado) while traveling last week. I quite truthfully would not go back to the smaller screen now.

I chose not to get a keyboard case--my older Apple BT keyboard works great and easily fits in a bag to carry for travel and I have always had good luck touch typing pretty fast on the Ipad screen and even more now with the large screen and the added row on the keyboard. I have a Pencil coming today and my very good Adonit BT Jot Touch stylus will go to my husband to use with his Air 2.

I must say too Dropbox is my friend and has been for a long time--i can easily move data, etc from Mac to Ipad to Iphone (6sPlus which I carry every day, not my Ipad any longer) and vice versa and it is my well organized backup for business and personal.

And I agree with twerpoet--the Ipad Pro just fits my lifestyle

Diane

abetancort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
TheCanaries.org
I have a Mac Pro X 2 AppleCinema Displays , MacBookPro 15", 2 MacBookAir 11", 1 iPad Mini Retina Cell, 1 iPad Air Cell, 1 iPad Pro 12" cell, more iPhones than I can care to count... mostly picking dust 99% of the time ... because I use the iPad Pro 99% of the time.

I guess that answers the question for me. If I had to choose what to take to the other side of the world, it would be the iPad Pro, Apple TV, the Synology NAS, and a couple of 5 MHz access points.

jeraldjamescapao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can say that iPadPro 12.9 cannot replace my MacbookPro. I find it comfortable to type on a physical keyboard. It will still be depending on your usage. The iPad Pro just replaces your smaller iPad, it is like a huge version of the basic iPads.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can say that iPadPro 12.9 cannot replace my MacbookPro. I find it comfortable to type on a physical keyboard. It will still be depending on your usage. The iPad Pro just replaces your smaller iPad, it is like a huge version of the basic iPads.

Have you tried typing on the Smart Keyboard that attaches to the iPad Pro? iPad Pro - Smart Keyboard - Apple (CA)

jeraldjamescapao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried typing on the Smart Keyboard that attaches to the iPad Pro? iPad Pro - Smart Keyboard - Apple (CA)

Ahhh ya! I don't have it. Hehe..
I don't know but I still find doing some programming stuff on OS X better. For example, XCode and web development.
Now I am starting to make iPad my main computer for most reasons other than programming projects.

Maybe I consider buying the keyboard for iPadPro.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh ya! I don't have it. Hehe..
I don't know but I still find doing some programming stuff on OS X better. For example, XCode and web development.
Now I am starting to make iPad my main computer for most reasons other than programming projects.

Maybe I consider buying the keyboard for iPadPro.
App development is certainly one thing that can't, as yet, be done on anything but a Mac.

ThreeWulfMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been an off and on iPad user since the OG iPad was released (iPad, iPad mini, ipad mini 2, iPad Pro 9.7). Even with all of the speed and resolution increases over the various iterations, my original thoughts about the iPad are largely unchanged. It doesn't do everything a laptop/desktop does, but it does 70% of those things very well. I use my iPad for work purposes (I'm and emergency management director in a rural community) and pair with a few special apps, it's a great tool. I sold a Surface Pro 3 to buy my iPad pro and I don't regret it at all. My only complaint is that Apple's walled -garden ecosystem makes some things harder than they should be (i.e. moving files between devices, printing only to Airprint-compatible devices, proprietary charging cables), but when you get a set-up that works, it is a seamless experience. Apple makes consistently great devices and supports them with tightly controlled, but excellent software.

Most reactions

Latest posts