What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will new features be unveiled during the iPad Release

Will the iPad received any added features upon release?

• Yes, Apple will surprise us.

Votes: 58 61.1%
  • No, What you see is what you get.

Votes: 37 38.9%

• Total voters

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think we'll see any additional features (hardware or software) when the iPad is released to the public? I'm just wondering if Apple is holding anything back? Let us know your thoughts.

iII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, not till gen two, just in time for xmas...

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt we will see any new hardware feature's. Any surprises will come on the software side (though don't expect Flash).

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll give it about a 1 in 3 chance that we'll see a camera built in. I think it's very possible that it's already there, but the software wasn't ready for prime time yet. We all know how Steve hates to show something that's not ready yet.

I'd give it about a 50/50 possibility that we'll see OS 4.0 on the iPad when it ships too. 4.0 might add multitasking capabilities for 3rd party apps (since we know that Apple apps like iPod can already multitask with other apps). The biggest visible change will probably be the ability to arrange icons on the device home page any way you want instead of just limiting you to a grid. Of course, they could do this without revving all the way to 4.0.

I also think we'll see some of the standard apps found on the iPhone and iPod Touch that were conspicuously absent at the announcement, enhanced and improved for the larger display and higher power. Weather will let you see live satellite photos, etc. Stocks will give for info and probably news headlines for your stocks, and we'll see a much more powerful calculator app.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive seen many picture but no camera on it. There is a feature that you can buy from the your closest apple store, but other than that i believe no camera.

Apple usually doesn't say everything. I remember the first iphone coming out they didn't say half the thing it can really do.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Votes yes, I would not be shocked at all if they add some functionality before release that we haven't heard about (or just speculated about)

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really hope that they will include a USB port. It would add so many possibilities that I think will make the iPad MUCH more user friendly & useful.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really hope that they will include a USB port. It would add so many possibilities that I think will make the iPad MUCH more user friendly & useful.

I've seen the lack of a USB port talked about as a huge negative, along with the (supposed) lack of multitasking, lack of flash, etc.

I'm honestly confused as to why you would see the need to have a USB port built into the device. (really, I'm trying to understand, please don't take this as criticism.)

There will be an adapter that plugs into the dock connector and provides a USB port for connecting a camera. I would imagine that app designers could find a way to access this for connecting specialized hardware if they needed to, but it's not something you'd want connected all the time.

My confusion stems from trying to understand just exactly what people thing they're going to connect to the iPad on a regular basis... it's a portable, tablet roughly the size of a hardback book. Anything connected to it makes it much less portable. I imaging carrying mine with me almost constantly throughout the day, replacing my Day-Timer organizer.

pcimaging

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Camera possibility

I'll give it about a 1 in 3 chance that we'll see a camera built in. I think it's very possible that it's already there, but the software wasn't ready for prime time yet. We all know how Steve hates to show something that's not ready yet.

I'd give it about a 50/50 possibility that we'll see OS 4.0 on the iPad when it ships too. 4.0 might add multitasking capabilities for 3rd party apps (since we know that Apple apps like iPod can already multitask with other apps). The biggest visible change will probably be the ability to arrange icons on the device home page any way you want instead of just limiting you to a grid. Of course, they could do this without revving all the way to 4.0.

I also think we'll see some of the standard apps found on the iPhone and iPod Touch that were conspicuously absent at the announcement, enhanced and improved for the larger display and higher power. Weather will let you see live satellite photos, etc. Stocks will give for info and probably news headlines for your stocks, and we'll see a much more powerful calculator app.

I have only been using a Mac for about a year and a half now. I can not profess to know how Steve Jobs thinks or acts regarding new products. However I have read a couple of rumors about this iPad possibly shipping with a camera built in. There was a photo posted showing the frame with the space and shape of what would house a camera. It might have been a photo shopped image for all I know. Personally I would really like to see the thing arrive on April 3rd with the camera. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the lack of a camera during Keynote. I can do without but somehow it just seems as if this iPad is supposed to be all about multimedia. So I am hoping that this may be a big part of the secrecy. Wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think we'll see any additional features (hardware or software) when the iPad is released to the public? I'm just wondering if Apple is holding anything back? Let us know your thoughts.

I'm thinking the photo SD and USB camera connector dongle will be added in the box. It is the only thing listed, not allowed to pre-order & Apple is releasing no information about at all!

I've called, emailed & chatted with an online genius while ordering my dock station. The exact words..."No information has been given".

My fingers are crossed, as well as my camera fire wire!

Most reactions

Latest posts