What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will MicroSIM card work in a laptop as an aircard?

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me if I am using the incorrect terms...LOL

Currently I have a Dell laptop with an AT&T 3G Sim/air card, and the $60/mth plan. I'm thinking about getting an Ipad. Obviously the sim in my laptop won't work in the Ipad, since it's a standard sim. Besides that, I'm paying $60/mth for it, so I'd rather get the $30/mth Ipad/ATT plan. If I got an adapter for the microsim, would it work in my laptop, since they're both AT&T, or am I SOL?

Thanks

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a sticky one I have heard you can cut the sim to make it fit but then you cannot use it in the laptop I cannot answer this one over to Max or some one else

OP
spinfreak

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I'm actually trying to find out the opposite of what you said.....I want to get the new $30 plan for the Ipad, and then get a mirco sim adapter (to make it full size) and use it in my laptop. I'm hoping to see if they micro sim and the $30 plan will work in the laptop, or would it only work in an Ipad? That way I can cancel my current $60/mth plan, and just have the $30 plan, and use the sim in both things. I hardly ever use my current air card anyway, so it's been hard to justify the $60 a month I've been spending.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Theoretically, it should work. OTOH, how would you get to the micro sim on the iPad? As I understand it, it is built into the unit and all you do is activate it. It is not a item you can get from the AT&T store.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did some research and it does appear that the micro sim is removable. So if you get a card adapter, you can try it and see if it works.

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did some research and it does appear that the micro sim is removable. So if you get a card adapter, you can try it and see if it works.
While I hope this works it is most likely that the AT&T system will require the SIMM to be in the device that it is registered to (IMEI number) in this case the iPad....but you never know :)

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see where your going with this smarty. Unlimited data for $30 on your laptop. I guess we won't know until these things roll out, but, I would imagine the big greedy att probably did something special to these sims to only work on the ipad. If not then smart guys like you will get a pretty cheap data plans available to them.

OP
spinfreak

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL

I'm not trying to get anything over on AT&T. Hell, I've been paying the $60/mth to them for about a year and a half now, and literally I've used it maybe 10 hours, if that. I just don't see the point of having another $30/mth subscription for a 2nd device, while still paying for the first one that I hardly use.

I figured out what I'm going to do. I already ordered a 3g Ipad, and I'm going to activate the $30 plan with it. I'm going to get the adapter to make it a full sized sim, and try it in my laptop. If it works, then great. If it doesn't work, I'm going to cancel both plans and get a MiFi, and just run everything off the MiFi using Wifi. Then I'll at least be saving a few dollars instead of spending 90 bucks a month.

Thanks y'all for the replies :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that it should be illegal to charge twice for the same service on different devices! You should be able to use it on one at a time!! So if you already have a data plan for your iPhone you should be able to go online and switch it to the iPad and vice verse.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL

I'm not trying to get anything over on AT&T. Hell, I've been paying the $60/mth to them for about a year and a half now, and literally I've used it maybe 10 hours, if that. I just don't see the point of having another $30/mth subscription for a 2nd device, while still paying for the first one that I hardly use.

I figured out what I'm going to do. I already ordered a 3g Ipad, and I'm going to activate the $30 plan with it. I'm going to get the adapter to make it a full sized sim, and try it in my laptop. If it works, then great. If it doesn't work, I'm going to cancel both plans and get a MiFi, and just run everything off the MiFi using Wifi. Then I'll at least be saving a few dollars instead of spending 90 bucks a month.

Thanks y'all for the replies :)

That would however mean you waited an extra month and spent an extra $130 for nothing.

OP
spinfreak

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would however mean you waited an extra month and spent an extra $130 for nothing.

In essence, that's true, but I like the option of having the 3g function available is/when I ever need/want it. If I had ordered the regular wifi verson and later on wanted 3g (built in), then I'd be screwed.

Besides, I just preordered mine today, so won't get it until the first week or so of May. I'm not the type that needs to get something as soon as it comes out (although I did get my Iphone 3GS the day it cam eout, but that was just dumb luck). I'm mainly getting the Ipad for work anyway, so no big deal.

OP
spinfreak

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered an adapter already, so that will probably be here before the Ipad. We'll see how it goes. If all goes well, I'll save some money each month. If not, then I get to order a new toy (mifi) ;)

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that it should be illegal to charge twice for the same service on different devices! You should be able to use it on one at a time!! So if you already have a data plan for your iPhone you should be able to go online and switch it to the iPad and vice verse.

I couldn't agree with you more. I hope this is eventually what they are pushed to allowing on their network, even if by the public demanding so by their use habits.

Otherwise maybe its something that some one will push for in court and if it goes through it will be something competitive with other services and not some contractual raping.

What I would like to see from AT&T is one flat fee, or any provider for that matter. Something along the lines of $30/Month for unlimited data across the board, even if it has to be one device at a time.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is more likely to happen is that, in the future, people will be given a choice of a mifi data plan for a higher price, or individual 3G plans like the iPad deal. Since web sites can differentiate between OS being used, it is a possibilty that they can restrict the use of a plan based on the machine it is registered to. So picture a scenario where you get the choice of two $30 3G accounts, or a $60 mifi account. Under the combined account, you can have more than two users at once, which would be good for families. If you have only two computers that may need to be used in different locations, then separate accounts could be best.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts