What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will iPad 3G purchased in USA work in UK?

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Apple iPad 3G on order in the USA that I am planning to send to a friend in the UK.

I assume that 3G service carriers in the UK and in other countries have little information, since the iPad is not yet for sale outside of the USA. However, does anyone anticipate any issues when using the 3G service in other countries when the iPad was purchased in USA?

Are carrier frequencies different in countries other than the USA, or are the iPads manufactured to be compatible with carrier frequencies in other countries?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Last edited:

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G is an industry standard and the modem built into the iPad supports all worldwide available 3G frequencies. So YES, it will work in UK and everywhere else.

OP
Addicted2it

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G is an industry standard and the modem built into the iPad supports all worldwide available 3G frequencies. So YES, it will work in UK and everywhere else.

Thank you. That is very reassuring.

OP
Addicted2it

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But beware if the iPad has a US AT&T microsim card, you might have horrendous data roaming charges outside the US.

I am not going to be using it as a roaming device in the UK. It will be used strictly with a UK 3G service provider. But now that you mention it, if it does use a SIM card for USA AT&T, why can't it be removed and replaced with one from a UK wireless service provider?

Thanks.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also beware that LTE is around the corner...and could be out before the second gen iPad hits the shelves.

OP
Addicted2it

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also beware that LTE is around the corner...and could be out before the second gen iPad hits the shelves.

It should be a while before LTE rolls out.

There will always be other upgrades and better things waiting to happen, so why not enjoy the 3G while it's here?

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD 3G USA is locked to AT&T

I was shocked to hear from iPAD Applecare support that the iPAD 3G bought in the USA is infact locked to AT&T so you cannot simply replace the micro-sim card. I am moving from the USA to the UK soon & wanted to buy an iPAD in the USA, but now will wait until I am in the UK. This is very strange since I thought that Steve Jobs said in his iPAD keynote speech in January that the iPAD will be unlocked. So, either Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking abut or Applecare support doesn't know what they're talking about!!!

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, either Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking abut or Applecare support doesn't know what they're talking about!!!

I am pretty sure, that the poor support guy mixed up a few things. Steve Jobs clearly said, that the iPad will be unlocked!!

By Friday, when the first 3G devices will arrive, we all will know. Be patient and make you decision after the weekend.

OP
Addicted2it

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, either Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking abut or Applecare support doesn't know what they're talking about!!!

I am pretty sure, that the poor support guy mixed up a few things. Steve Jobs clearly said, that the iPad will be unlocked!!

By Friday, when the first 3G devices will arrive, we all will know. Be patient and make you decision after the weekend.

On the day it arrives, my first 3G iPad will be shipped to the UK. By the time it reaches it's destination, it will be too late to find out if the 3G will not work there. If it does not, I will have it shipped back to the USA. If the 3G does work in the UK, then I will immediately order one for myself.

The only thing that worries me is that iPad's release in the UK is scheduled for late May. One wonders why the delay, other than that Apple cannot meet the demand of the foreign market.

Last edited:

torero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Apple iPad 3G on order in the USA that I am planning to send to a friend in the UK.

I assume that 3G service carriers in the UK and in other countries have little information, since the iPad is not yet for sale outside of the USA. However, does anyone anticipate any issues when using the 3G service in other countries when the iPad was purchased in USA?

Are carrier frequencies different in countries other than the USA, or are the iPads manufactured to be compatible with carrier frequencies in other countries?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Do note that the iPad 3G uses a micro sim which is different in size from the mini sim generally used in most countries (such as mine, for instance). There are those who suggest that one need only cut a mini sim down to micro sim size (as the contact points are identical in both) for it to work. Until we actually get our hands on one, it may only be conjecture at this point. I am hopeful that it works, though, or I would have wasted bucks on obtaining the +3G premium :eek:

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD3G

I have no doubt that the USA iPAD 3G will work on the UK 3G network as is, but the question is how much is the roaming/ data charge. What we want to know is, following the iPAD3G release in the UK, can you simply take out your micro-sim from your US model & put in a micro-sim from a UK iPAD 3G provider. It will mechanically be possible, but will it work ie. is the US iPAD 3G truly locked to AT&T.

Steve Job's clearly said it was unlocked, so my suspicion is that since the Applecare folks probably haven't been trained properly on the 3G version when I called (about 3wks ago) they probably didn't really know.

Unfortunately, you won't find out whether it is truly locked to AT&T until the iPAD 3G is launched in the UK & you can get hold of a UK micro-sim card to put in your US model.

Hope this all makes sense!!!

Let us know how you get along when you get it.

I actually need it to work in the US, UK & Japan over the summer since I'm travelling! If only there was a universal micro-sim!!!

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
p.s. just spoken to Apple technical support & they recommended that I ask the question at the weekend after the launch since they don't have the technical support documents yet! So, it seems they don't really know the answer!

Most reactions

Latest posts