What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will I need to move from the iPad?

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that Apple wants to get a 30% cut from Amazon and Kobo why would any company pay Apple this fee? Apple is not the big fish for eReaders, you have Kindle, can read them on a PC, any Android device. I am worried Kobo and Amazon may refuse to sell books with Apple and just sell them on every other device. This would make the iPad useless to me.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that Apple wants to get a 30% cut from Amazon and Kobo why would any company pay Apple this fee? Apple is not the big fish for eReaders, you have Kindle, can read them on a PC, any Android device. I am worried Kobo and Amazon may refuse to sell books with Apple and just sell them on every other device. This would make the iPad useless to me.

That won't happen. They will work something out.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are absolutley right. Sell that iPad now. You know how unhappy this makes you.

Which one and how much?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoa! You might want to wait a bit before putting your iPad on Craig's List. The Federal Trade Commission and the US Department of Justice is looking into Apple's new subscription policy.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

IMO, yes. Currently Apple is simply requiring that all apps offer the option to purchase via the App Store, but given that inch I've no doubt they'll try for the entire yard and demand only App Store purchases, at which point I suspect several vendors will simply pull their apps, as Rhapsody has announced. When we reach that point, where I'm paying a 30% Apple tax simply for choosing an iPad, Apple will lose me as a customer. I suspect this will push a lot of people to other devices.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO, yes. Currently Apple is simply requiring that all apps offer the option to purchase via the App Store, but given that inch I've no doubt they'll try for the entire yard and demand only App Store purchases, at which point I suspect several vendors will simply pull their apps, as Rhapsody has announced. When we reach that point, where I'm paying a 30% Apple tax simply for choosing an iPad, Apple will lose me as a customer. I suspect this will push a lot of people to other devices.

I don't think Apple requiring only in-app purchases will even be necessary for Amazon to pull Kindle support. If Apple requires in-app purchasing at all for ebooks I think that will be enough to kill the Kindle support on iOS. Amazon can choose to raise their prices 30% across the board for all devices to satisfy Apple's requirements or they can play their own version of hardball and simply remove the app until Apple comes to their senses. If Amazon, Netflix, Rhapsody and the rest of the major content providers remove iOS support I think Apple is going to be in a bad place. In the end, I can see things getting very interesting with both sides standing their ground until an agreement can be reached. I'm glad jailbroken devices can disable the Apple kill switch for Apps. I still have lots of Kindle content to read!

On a similar note, I would love to see Amazon release Kindle support in Cydia if they remove App Store support.

Most reactions

Latest posts