What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Apple ever make an ipad with an sd card slot?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just recently bought my first ipad ever (the ipad 2) and I am very happy with it but I chose the 16gb version because it was the lowest price and I think that its a bit ridiculous that the only way to increase my storage capacity is to buy another ipad.

What exactly are Apples intentions behind not including an sd card slot? Its bad enough that they expect us to buy a new model every year. You would think that would be enough money for them.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
I just recently bought my first ipad ever (the ipad 2) and I am very happy with it but I chose the 16gb version because it was the lowest price and I think that its a bit ridiculous that the only way to increase my storage capacity is to buy another ipad.

What exactly are Apples intentions behind not including an sd card slot? Its bad enough that they expect us to buy a new model every year. You would think that would be enough money for them.

You chose to buy the cheapest one, you wasn't forced

Apple don't expect you to purchase the new model ever year, that is your choice whether you do so or not

You can always use the camera kit to store your photos and mp4 videos on sd cards

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Possibly the era of SD cards is fading out, in favor of data transfer via WiFi to other devices, or to the 'cloud' somewhere. Services and apps like DropBox, etc. are very convenient and fast. Maybe that is part of it. I can remember when Apple announced they were shipping a computer without a floppy disc drive and everyone was amazed....technology marches on.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
retexan599 said:
Possibly the era of SD cards is fading out, in favor of data transfer via WiFi to other devices, or to the 'cloud' somewhere. Services and apps like DropBox, etc. are very convenient and fast. Maybe that is part of it. I can remember when Apple announced they were shipping a computer without a floppy disc drive and everyone was amazed....technology marches on.

But the floppy disk drive was replaced with a cd drive. The ipad has no memory card slot at all.

I also find it hard to believe that the sd card is fading tech considering every device except Apples uses one.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HedgeHogLuvva said:

Apple don't expect you to purchase the new model ever year, that is your choice whether you do so or not

You can always use the camera kit to store your photos and mp4 videos on sd cards

Your response just proved my point that Apple is out to milk us for every penny we have.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't think Apple will ever do that. They don't want users to access file system. Once file system is exposed, all evil acts ;) like loading of pirated apps will start to happen, which in turn mean less money coming to Apple's pocket.

They need to look interest of shareholders before the consumers. :p

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think there will be some solution like usb storage option through conn kit..when a jb arrives..hopes!

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HedgeHogLuvva said:

Your response just proved my point that Apple is out to milk us for every penny we have.

Why are you criticizing a company for a purchasing decision YOU made? I just don't get it.

fgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that APPLE will never allow sd cards or USB attachment to connect directly with "imachines" because they don't want to give backdoors to jail breakers.
I don't expect sd or USB connection from APPLE.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok you bought the cheapest model. Even it they did include a USB or SD slot I would not expect them to include it on the lower priced model.

That being said, I have the 64Gig model with several gig of aviation charts, plus topo maps for half the US, several hundred songs, 4 movies, 10 tv shows and I have only used half of the 64 gb of space.

I will bet that you NEVER see a expansion slot or USB post on the Ipad. Hell I would want a removable battery before either of those.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sd/mmc cards are dirt cheap nowadays

Only thing i wish apple didn't do is the curved edges, means that anythng you connect can be dislodged easily

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OP reminds me of a crack addict complaining about his crappy supplier. He still goes to buy from him.:D

No one forces you to buy from Apple.
Lots of choices out there that do provide the slots you seek.

Apple is innovative and introduces an updated product annually.
Choosing to buy or not remains totally within our control.

Maybe it's me but why is it so many folks spend $500 plus only to complain about the product? If you make the decision to buy it, enjoy it.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dogenia said:
Camera kit works for me. SD card not necessary.

Having read that, i just tried my western digital mybook 1tb drive using the cck, now, normally it would throw up an msg saying the device is drawing too much power, but as the drive is mains powered, no error :) unfortunately, it is formatted ntfs, so i presume that is the reason why the dcim folder is not showing up on the ipad photos app

A seagate 500gb usb portable drive also does not throw up an error, just reformatting now

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts