What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi v 3G

Peter_Izn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
How does the iPad choose whether to use WiFi or 3G.
My kindle logs onto 3G when it cannot connect to WiFi, but always tries WiFi first, is the iPad the same?
If there is no WiFi or 3G, with the iPad log onto a slower signal. I have a 3G contract but have to pay for non 3G calls.
Can I tell the iPad to accept 3G only and not slower signals?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what you're asking, but you can turn off Wi-Fi on an iPad, so it uses nothing but 3G.

If you use 3G only, some things won't work, like FaceTime, which requires Wi-Fi.

You also need Wi-Fi to load or update apps over 20MB, at least for now where I use my iPads. I don't know whether that's true everywhere.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad will use wifi if it is available otherwise it will use 3G.

The only caveat to that is it will use 3G when in low power (ie screen off) mode as that uses less power.

If you can check your 3G usage (I can be logging in to my provider website and looking at my account) you will see lots of small 3G usage (checking for email etc). I checked mine and when I knew I had been at home (and thus in range of my wifi) there were some small 3G usage reports.

OP
P

Peter_Izn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike. Thanks the info. It is the same as kindle then.
I have a 15 euro a month contract for 3G with a limit. Once the limit is up it slows down, otherwise it is fast.
If wifi and 3G are not available, will it select a non 3G signal, if it does it will cost me per connection.
I know it indicates what signal it is receiving, therefore if not 3G I can close the connection.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the previous posters have used the term '3G', they really meant 'cellular data' i.e. '3.5G' (HSDPA), 3G, EDGE ('2.5G') or GPRS. So, as the previous posters have said, the iPad always chooses WiFi in preference to cellular data irrespective of the quality/speed of the connection. It's understandable but annoying - I have a faster cellular connection than my ADSL broadband, so I'd like to stay connected to cellular for everything, but I'm forced onto WiFi for downloading large apps and movies (as has been mentioned, over 20MB).

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts