What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi still running in sleep mode?

Iamstrobist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that turning on the wifi will consume more battery.

So I was wondering if my iPad is in Sleep mode, does the wifi turn off automatically? or is it still running in sleep mode?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi still runs in Sleep mode and so your emails will still be collected and you can hear the 'New Mail' tone unless you activate the Mute switch.

Tim

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that true for 3G iPads?
I remember reading that 3G iPads use 3G instead of Wi-Fi when in sleep mode if 3G is enabled.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
schmidtj said:
Is that true for 3G iPads?
I remember reading that 3G iPads use 3G instead of Wi-Fi when in sleep mode if 3G is enabled.

3G still works when in sleep mode. I found this out when checking my PAYG account and saw there were small amounts of data being consumed on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As a 'new' iPad2 owner, I've been using a 'smart cover' but am still completely not sure what the closing of the cover does to the function of the device?

When opened the next day, the standard desktop appears, i.e. no lock to slide; and from the comments made Wi-Fi remains 'on' I assume w/ this cover closed - first, how much battery reserve is 'used up' in this maneuver? And second, should Wi-Fi be 'turned off' each night on the iPad?

Thanks for any comments - :)

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
As a 'new' iPad2 owner, I've been using a 'smart cover' but am still completely not sure what the closing of the cover does to the function of the device?

When opened the next day, the standard desktop appears, i.e. no lock to slide; and from the comments made Wi-Fi remains 'on' I assume w/ this cover closed - first, how much battery reserve is 'used up' in this maneuver? And second, should Wi-Fi be 'turned off' each night on the iPad?

Thanks for any comments - :)

It puts the iPad to sleep ( same as pressing the small off button until the screen goes black.) if you want tom turn off completely, that's when you press and hold the power button until you see the " slide tom power off" displayed." then you can switch off completely.,!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an alternative, you can use airplane mode to turn off all of the radios without actually powering the device off.

Most reactions

Latest posts