What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wifi range of ipad

guyyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new Ipad 2 owner for about 3 weeks now. i am having issues with the range of my ipad from the wireless router. I have 3br ranch home. I get great transfer rates until I get to our attached sun room and then the mps numbers are very erratic. Sometimes they are 9+ other times less than 1mps. I have replaced my old G style router with a new Cisco E1000. I also have an ipod that seems to not have this issue. Is this a known fact that the Ipads have a short wireless ranage? My next step is to get some cables and move the router to a more central location, but I feel that I should not have to do this. Thanks for any advice on this matter.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new Ipad 2 owner for about 3 weeks now. i am having issues with the range of my ipad from the wireless router. I have 3br ranch home. I get great transfer rates until I get to our attached sun room and then the mps numbers are very erratic. Sometimes they are 9+ other times less than 1mps. I have replaced my old G style router with a new Cisco E1000. I also have an ipod that seems to not have this issue. Is this a known fact that the Ipads have a short wireless ranage? My next step is to get some cables and move the router to a more central location, but I feel that I should not have to do this. Thanks for any advice on this matter.

In fact the iPad has a very good WiFi range. Do you have any other devices in the house that use the same frequency band - such as cordless 'phones? If so, turn them off and see if that makes a difference (should only really be necessary if they're being used, of course).

The other solution is to purchase a WiFi range extender, which rebroadcasts the WiFi signal and can make things significantly better. They're not too expensive and you can see them on Amazon. You place them about half way between your router and the iPad and it receives the WiFi signal and then rebroadcasts it on another channel. I have one at home and it works great.

I notice that you say that your iPod doesn't suffer in the same way, so my suggestion might not be appropriate.

Tim

OP
G

guyyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it possibly be the connection to our WII? We have a small watt radio transmitter behind our house and we used to have huge interference problems with the cordless phones. This may be another reason?

Most reactions

Latest posts