What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIFI or 3G+WIFI

WIFI or 3G+WIFI, 16GB or 32GB?

• Total voters

HK_USP_45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, help me out. I don't know which one to get, so maybe people who actually own one can help. Here's what's going on: I have $1000 to spend or save. I will buy an iPad this Friday or Saturday. But I also have another major purchase also, in that I would also like buy a $800 camera (both the iPad and camera are for both personal use and business -- I'm an outdoor writer who takes my own pics. And possibly will be a student again.)

Part of me wants the 3G for if I can't find a hotspot to use the WIFI, but I don't know if it's absolutely necessary for me to have it. To those that have one or the other, is it worth the extra money to have the 3G in case you need it (I won't subscribe except for the times where I need it). I'm afraid if I don't have it I'll regret not having it. But if I do have it, I'll waste the $15 subscription fee when I don't really need to. So if buy the WIFI only, I'll save $130.

The second part to that, do I really need the 32GB, or can I get by on the 16? I have the 32GB iPhone, and I have never went over 10 GB in use, and I have TONS of apps and some movies on there. I probably won't be doing lots of movie watching, but with kids, I might on occasion. I will mostly be using it as a book reader and like a laptop -- mostly for writing word documents, and saving my pics and video to it when I'm on the road.

So here it is: I had planned on getting the 3G+WIFI 32 GB, which is $720. But, if I get the WIFI 16 GB, I can save $220 and only be about $350 away from also getting the camera. I'm trying to resist my nature of over-buying and getting the biggest and baddest (and having 20GB of unused space with 3G I don't need). Yet I don't want to buy short and not have what I need either.

Perplexed. HELP!!

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone, use it as a mobile hotspot when you need connectivity on your iPad. No need for the 3g version, would be just a waste of money.

OP
H

HK_USP_45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone, use it as a mobile hotspot when you need connectivity on your iPad. No need for the 3g version, would be just a waste of money.

How do I do that?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You jailbreak your iPhone and run Mywi or whatever the app is called.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't Forget to Factor in Other Stuff to buy

You will need a camera connection kit ($29), a screen shield ($20), a carrying case (I have the Apple case, $39), and various apps. You are a writer? Apple offers an app for $9.99. Movies, TV programs, music, and books, all have $$ attached.

So far, I have spent around $1,300 (yikes!) But I bought a 64gig 3G iPad. I thought I would need that much capacity because I am a photographer and I wanted the iPad to display my finished photos. I bought the 3G version because I thought I would take advantage of gps--I live in northern Indiana and it is great to have gps when looking for shooting vistas. It is very difficult to find farms, landmarks, remote parklands and wild places without a gps capable iPad. It is also quite helpful helping you find your way home.

Another benefit of having gps is finding restaurants, gas stations, etc when out in the field.

As far as photography goes, most DLSR cameras produce 12mg files (on average). If you are a prolific shooter, you'll find yourself using more capacity on the iPad because it displays photos very well. You indicated you have children, put their pictures in an iPad and you'll have them fighting to manipulate their photos on the iPad. If your camera takes video, you'll want to use the iPad for sharing those videos on the iPad too.

OP
H

HK_USP_45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will need a camera connection kit ($29), a screen shield ($20), a carrying case (I have the Apple case, $39), and various apps. You are a writer? Apple offers an app for $9.99. Movies, TV programs, music, and books, all have $$ attached.

So far, I have spent around $1,300 (yikes!) But I bought a 64gig 3G iPad. I thought I would need that much capacity because I am a photographer and I wanted the iPad to display my finished photos. I bought the 3G version because I thought I would take advantage of gps--I live in northern Indiana and it is great to have gps when looking for shooting vistas. It is very difficult to find farms, landmarks, remote parklands and wild places without a gps capable iPad. It is also quite helpful helping you find your way home.

Another benefit of having gps is finding restaurants, gas stations, etc when out in the field.

As far as photography goes, most DLSR cameras produce 12mg files (on average). If you are a prolific shooter, you'll find yourself using more capacity on the iPad because it displays photos very well. You indicated you have children, put their pictures in an iPad and you'll have them fighting to manipulate their photos on the iPad. If your camera takes video, you'll want to use the iPad for sharing those videos on the iPad too.

Thanks for the input you gave me a lot to consider. I have an iphone, so I don't really need the GPS on the iPad. Also, I have TONS of apps for my iPhone, most of which work on the ipad (I'll have to get a word processor ,though.) I also have an AppleTV, so I have a lot of movies, also, probably won't need to buy more (I don't really watch that much TV, especially on my computer, most video viewing will be kids movies). I will need the screen shield and carrying case, and camera connector, and I'll probably wait a bit, but I want to get the keyboard that has the ipad mount on it (I have the little wireless one that will work for now).

How do you like the Apple case?

I don't really take a lot of pics, just enough to support my articles. The big thing is that I do shoot 1-2 minute video clips so support the online edition of the magazine.

Right now I'm heavily leaning towards the 32GB WIFI only.

OP
H

HK_USP_45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember no 3G no GPS....

I got the 3G just for that.

I have my iphone for the GPS, that should suffice.

Even though I'd like it, I think it will probably be a rare occasion in which I need 3G. The problem is also that a lot of times when I would need the 3G, is when I'm in places that I get no signal anyway.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like The Apple Case BUT

There are many opinions to what is the best case to have for your iPad in the accessories part of this forum. Look at the thread that asks "Is it just me?" I like the case, it meets my needs. It does pick up dust, it is a very snug fitting case, and you can't have the iPad in this case and use the optional dock widget, the case is too thick and the dock part is too short to use. I have had to go back to using the original cable that came with the iPad--$39 lesson learned.

Once you decide what you want, if you order through Apple Stores, order your case and your camera connector with your order. Both case and camera connector are on back order and it takes a long time to get these options.

If you want to talk about your camera--that would constitute as being off topic! I recommend you to go to Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ. There you'll an awful lot of camera gear talk.

I hope you will enjoy the iPad, having it in my life has made technology so much more accessible.

OP
H

HK_USP_45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many opinions to what is the best case to have for your iPad in the accessories part of this forum. Look at the thread that asks "Is it just me?" I like the case, it meets my needs. It does pick up dust, it is a very snug fitting case, and you can't have the iPad in this case and use the optional dock widget, the case is too thick and the dock part is too short to use. I have had to go back to using the original cable that came with the iPad--$39 lesson learned.

Once you decide what you want, if you order through Apple Stores, order your case and your camera connector with your order. Both case and camera connector are on back order and it takes a long time to get these options.

If you want to talk about your camera--that would constitute as being off topic! I recommend you to go to Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ. There you'll an awful lot of camera gear talk.

I hope you will enjoy the iPad, having it in my life has made technology so much more accessible.

Thanks for the help, I'll check out the thread on cases. As for the camera, I pretty much know what I want. Costco has a Cannon Rebel that shoots 15mp and 1080p video that looks really good, and they sell it in a kit with zoom lens for $700 when it's on special, which I just missed last week. It'll come around again in a month or two.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One thing to consider: you said you might want to get the keyboard dock later and that you already have a wireless keyboard.

With the Apple keyboard dock, you can only use it in poprtrait mode and you can't have it in a case if you want to use the keyboard dock.

If your wireless keyboard is a bluetooth keyboard, then that is better because therr ar no limitations. You can use the iPad in a case without having to take it out and in either portrait or landscape mode to type. You would just need a stand or something else to prop it up (e.g. glass, bowl, another book, your gear bag, an acutal stand, etc)

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
One thing to consider: you said you might want to get the keyboard dock later and that you already have a wireless keyboard.

With the Apple keyboard dock, you can only use it in poprtrait mode and you can't have it in a case if you want to use the keyboard dock.

If your wireless keyboard is a bluetooth keyboard, then that is better because therr ar no limitations. You can use the iPad in a case without having to take it out and in either portrait or landscape mode to type. You would just need a stand or something else to prop it up (e.g. glass, bowl, another book, your gear bag, an acutal stand, etc)

I really wish there was a keyboard dock adapter that would allow landscape mode. Something that slide in to the dock and would hold the iPad sufficient for a 90° rotation...

Piko

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
One other consideration, the iPad is not upgradable. If you buy less capacity that you might need down the road, you'll be kicking yourself. My modus has always been to buy as much technology as I can afford. My business always ends up using up every facet of power that I bought.

Piko

Most reactions

Latest posts