What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi hotspot, What is the best cheapest way?????

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need to get a new cell phone and am looking at a Droid X, specifically for the wifi hotspot feature, looks like it will cost $20 per month in addition to the regular smart phone fees to get the hotspot feature.

This seems reasonable to me, is there a better cheaper way???

ljholland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free!

How about FREE?

If you root your Droid, you can run the free wireless hotspot app. And, because it's Verizon's network, you'll have better wireless performance than iPad users with their built-in 3G over ATT's sorry excuse for a network.

The only caveat is you'd have to be comfortable messing with your phone. It's actually extremely easy. If you ever need to bring in your Droid for warranty work, you'd need to restore it to stock as rooting voids your warranty (like jailbreaking).

I'm using a Droid Incredible. It's a very nice phone, fast, small. Before you settle on the Droid X, go into the store and hold it. Some feel it's a little large. If you need a physical keyboard, get the Droid 2. Or, if the Droid X seems to big, get the Incredible.

Head over to droidforums. Do a little research to see if you are comfortable with rooting. I'd recommend it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi at work has been really bad lately so I've been using my droid wifi and it's fast enough to stream netflix nicely.

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about FREE?

you'll have better wireless performance than iPad users with their built-in 3G over ATT's sorry excuse for a network.

QUOTE]

Sorry I know this is off topic, but Thank you it is a bout time someone agrees that AT&T service is junk lol I cannot wait til contract is up! Oh and on topic, i JB my iphone 3gs and I tether Ipad with it, but only when I actually have a signal, and that way it is free

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who hate AT&T, Verizon is getting the iPad and will bundle a mifi puck with it.

05GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to get a new cell phone and am looking at a Droid X, specifically for the wifi hotspot feature, looks like it will cost $20 per month in addition to the regular smart phone fees to get the hotspot feature.

This seems reasonable to me, is there a better cheaper way???

I switched from AT&T to Sprint. Got the HTC Evo and rooted the phone. So for $79.99 ($69 + $10 4G fee) I have unlimited bandwidth using the iPad or laptop tethered to my EVO.

jays0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a clearwire/sprint 4G / 3G puck and it works pretty well with the iPad, only complaint is that switching between 3G and 4G takes a bit too long.

Iamking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a clearwire/sprint 4G / 3G puck and it works pretty well with the iPad, only complaint is that switching between 3G and 4G takes a bit too long.
I tried there 4g spot service it didn't work in my area but there map show it would work. Customer service also said it would work. I'm still looking for wifi hotspot service.

Iamking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about FREE?

you'll have better wireless performance than iPad users with their built-in 3G over ATT's sorry excuse for a network.

QUOTE]

Sorry I know this is off topic, but Thank you it is a bout time someone agrees that AT&T service is junk lol I cannot wait til contract is up! Oh and on topic, i JB my iphone 3gs and I tether Ipad with it, but only when I actually have a signal, and that way it is free
does the ipad have to be jb also?

05GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about FREE?

QUOTE]

does the ipad have to be jb also?

Ipad does not have to be jailbroken in order to use the wireless tether from another device.

2010iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Nokia E71X with 3G unlimited data plan from AT&T and it's tethered to my iPad so I avoid paying the data plan for the iPad. That is one way to beat the system. Plus with 3G connectivity on my phone watching Movies on NETFLIX or surfing the net is extremely fast!!!!!

Most reactions