What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi HDD for iPad

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to hear of any such devices that anyone know of for use in backing up photos while travelling. Ideally such a device would also have an SD card slot which also appears as a network drive.

I already use software such as FileBrowser and PhotoMgrPro to copy files on my home network, this would be a portable equivalent. For example I can plug my SD card into my HP wireless printer and copy files to my NAS device using FileBrowser.

I think that ASUS might have something or or have something planned.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
If it was me I would get a dropbox account and upload them to there. No need for an extra device then and easily accessible by anything with Internet access.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it was me I would get a dropbox account and upload them to there. No need for an extra device then and easily accessible by anything with Internet access.

Internet access is becoming more or less universally available but there still seem to be occasions when it is not. Perhaps I need to change my thinking, but I still like the idea of backing up to my own HDD.

Reaction score
RAC said:
Internet access is becoming more or less universally available but there still seem to be occasions when it is not. Perhaps I need to change my thinking, but I still like the idea of backing up to my own HDD.

If you are jailbroken, then an iPod video is your solution. Classic may work as well, but I have only tested it with an iPod video 5th gen.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check these type devices out, a lot of pro photographers use these when they are in the field. I'm thinking of getting one myself. My experience with the iPad as a storage device is poor at best, not some where you would want to put once in a lifetime pictures.
Stand Alone Data Storage
I don't work for B&H photo, but I buy a lot of photo gear from them, and they are a great place to do business. Adorama and others also have these devices.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pocobear said:
Check these type devices out, a lot of pro photographers use these when they are in the field. I'm thinking of getting one myself. My experience with the iPad as a storage device is poor at best, not some where you would want to put once in a lifetime pictures.
Stand Alone Data Storage
I don't work for B&H photo, but I buy a lot of photo gear from them, and they are a great place to do business. Adorama and others also have these devices.

I have a simlilar device for backup. I do not use it a lot, but when we go on a long trip i bring it for back up. However, now with the Ipad and CCK i will leave the backup drive at home.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pocobear said:
Stand Alone Data Storage

I have a simlilar device for backup. I do not use it a lot, but when we go on a long trip i bring it for back up. However, now with the Ipad and CCK i will leave the backup drive at home.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Just from my experience I would suggest you take both, and backup to each one on your first trip, and see which one it the easiest to download from and the most reliable. I have lost pictures on the iPad, so I now use a Nikon D7000 with dual memory cards, setup to backup from card #1 to card #2, as I shoot, and carry lots of memory cards with me. Cheaper than the iPad, easier to carry, and a lot lighter. And I still have my iPhone for everything else.

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only keep apps, music, photo's on my ipad, videos are network/internet accessible. I use Air Video for my videos. It requires an internet connection, but i have a mifi from Verizon, and hotspots are everywhere, so I can generally play what ever, where ever, when ever.

Most reactions