What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi booster

PTofPoulton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I have just joined the forum, please bare with me

Does anyone know if I can get a booster aerial for my iPad2?I have just got BT FON as I travel quite a lot with
my ipad but trying to get a suitable signal strength even when I am in a city is a nightmare. However when I have my laptop with me there does not seem to be a problem getting a signal strength for that This leads me to believe it is my ipad that needs a more powerful aerial.

PTofPoulton

Futhark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed that at home my IPad gets a weaker signal than my iMac . The iMac is showing 32mbs download & the iPad 12mbs.
Perhaps it is something to do with the way it is set up at the factory?
Anyone else getting this?

Futhark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My download speed has now gone up to 23mbps, is it something to do with the latest upgrade?

Andres32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I recently bought Ipad3, but I do know know the reason, it is very bad wifi signal in my house, so I think I need to buy wifi booster. I am not very good with such technics so I need advice what to buy, I was suggest to search at wilsonamplifiers.com, but what exactly kind I need I do not know. How can help, please suggest me?! Thanks in advance

auld yin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I recently bought Ipad3, but I do know know the reason, it is very bad wifi signal in my house, so I think I need to buy wifi booster. I am not very good with such technics so I need advice what to buy, I was suggest to search at wilsonamplifiers.com, but what exactly kind I need I do not know. How can help, please suggest me?! Thanks in advance

I had the same problem despite having one of the most powerful modem/routers available in Canada. Bought a NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender ($60). Just plugged it in to wall socket (no configuration) and voila, full WiFi power. I can now watch everything available on my SMART TV also.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can get a booster aerial for my iPad2?I have just got BT FON as I travel quite a lot with
my ipad but trying to get a suitable signal strength even when I am in a city is a nightmare. However when I have my laptop with me there does not seem to be a problem getting a signal strength for that This leads me to believe it is my ipad that needs a more powerful aerial.

Hi & welcome to the forum! :) First let us know if your iPad 2 is Wi-Fi only or also cellular; if so, which signal are you trying to use on the device. Second, there are programs, such as Wi-Fi Explorer & iStumbler that can be put on your laptop and will measure signal strength and SNR (signal to noise ratio). Dave

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have noticed that at home my IPad gets a weaker signal than my iMac . The iMac is showing 32mbs download & the iPad 12mbs.
Perhaps it is something to do with the way it is set up at the factory?
Anyone else getting this?

My download speed has now gone up to 23mbps, is it something to do with the latest upgrade?

Just for clarification, your download (DL) speeds have nothing to do w/ signal strength or SNR (signal to noise ratio) which may impact on receiving a Wi-Fi signal - my laptop is better than my iPad 2; however, there is no app for the iPad that will provide that data (probably iOS & Apple limitations and restrictions). I usually use Speedtest Net to measure my DL (and UL) speeds, and there is an app for iOS. My typical DL speeds are about 20 Mbps on my MBPro but less on my iPad 2 in the same location (den, one room from my AirPort Extreme router). However, these speeds vary from day to day and hour to hour (always less @ night w/ more people on the cable modem link); now the 'bottleneck' is not your router (mine is broadcasting on dual bands using likely the 802.11 g/n protocol, which can operate at a maximum rate of 54 Mbps or even much more depending on the versions; 802.11 ac is even faster), but your ISP's signal coming into your cable or DSP modem.

Now, for signal strength, I use Wi-Fi Explorer on my Mac laptop which provides abundant information about my home network (and my neighbor's - not an issue since we all are on WPA2 security) - see the pics below; my MBPro is currently using the 2.4 GHz band w/ a 70% signal strength and 34 Db SNR which is excellent according to the chart attached - those are the numbers needed from an iPad if an app existed to obtain them? Hope this helps - Dave

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 10.38.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-02 at 10.28.56 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts