What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-Fi problems

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. Hope you can help.

I just got an iPad (Wi-Fi only) two days ago and since then I've had constant Wi-Fi problems when it comes out of Stand-by.
I either have to turn it off completely or "Renew Lease" in order to fix it. But that gets annoying.

Should I exchange it for another unit or is there a fix for this?

I'm using a Netgear Router and it works perfectly on my laptops and anyone's laptop that come in here.

Thanks

markwebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Likewise, I have to constantly reset network settings, click "forget this network", re-boot, turn on Airplane Mode, etc. One continuous loop and most of the time it won't connect.

It occurs either coming out of standby or just when I power up. Have only connected twice in the past week on my network.

Everything else connects to my network (including Droid, Laptops, desktops, etc) but the IPAD. I use WPA/PSK network settings.

My IPAD software is the latest 3.2.2.

I can connect to open hotspots for the most part but sometimes experience the same problem.

Last edited:

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
It is possible, if you are having the same issues on the same wifi network, try flashing the BIOS on the wifi router. Especially if it is an older Linksys. Also, you could assign a static dhcp ip address - look at your router's help files.

If you are having this same issue on multiple wifi routers, I don't know. Personally, I have not had any issues with the wifi. I am on an un-jailbroken 3.2.2 iPad and connecting to a newer Linksys router.

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new Netgear modem and all my computers are doing very well on it. I have the same problems when going to a friend's house.

I returned my first iPad and am now going to return my second one, it's even worse than my first one.
Even when I connect I constantly get knocked offline so often it's annoying and there is nothing I can do other than reboot the device. After that I connect again but just a few minutes into it I'm knocked offline again I have to reboot.
The signal is reading full and very strong signal.

I've been searching the internet about this and it seems to be pretty common amongst other iPad owners.
Just enter "ipad wifi problems" in Google.

I think I'll wait for Gen 2 to come out. May give the iPad thing another go then.

Thanks for your help

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
It would be interesting to find out what routers everyone is using. I have not personally had any issue with the wifi with sleep mode and ip refresh. I use multiple wifi locations on a daily basis. The only ones I have issues with are locations where my laptop also has issues, so I cannot blame the iPad.

Have you tried setting a static address for the iPad on the router?

Arcaanon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad just generally seems to work slowly, compared to the computer, in respect of connecting to internet. Web sites load slowly and fail (I hate safari, but maybe it's not safari's fault?) because "server did not respond" after partial loading. Youtube clips don't show, or fail, etc. Any ideas to help?

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Arcaanon your problem sounds weird.
Would love to learn more.
Anyway I returned my second iPod today.
Will wait until OS 4 is out and see what happens then or I may just wait for second generation. I doubt it's much more than four months at this point.
I love the device and miss my Chess app. Being able to lay in bed at night and play chess was a great thing!

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems on my side. I'm using hotspots in cafes and have the mobile hotspot from huawei e5. I was having problems sometimes when sharing my neighbors internet connection (which is the reason I switched to the mobile hotspot), but I think that was due to range problems. I sometimes noticed on that somewhat weak connection, that it makes a difference how you hold your iPad, but I guess that's already common knowledge.

I-pdiddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi issues. Way for apple to sell extended warranty?

I started experiencing the same issues as what many of you have described and when I called apple the rep informed me that my phone support had just ran out a mere 2 days before and that if I was to receive any assistance over the phone that I would have to purchase extended warranty or search the web for my own fix. I think that the antenna for the wifi is defective. Up until now I thought the iPad was the greatest thing since sliced bread now I am ready to throw it out the window. I have to practically set it on top of my router to get it to respond. The company I work for is looking to do a mass purchase but I will have to advise them of my experience, pathetic support, and have them hold off until I have found a resolution. How is it that this is not all over in the media? :confused::mad:

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
" I think that the antenna for the wifi is defective. "

First the iPhone has major antenna problems now the iPad too.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
" I think that the antenna for the wifi is defective. "

First the iPhone has major antenna problems now the iPad too.
The "antenna issue" with the iPhone was for the cellular antenna, not the WiFi antenna. They are two different things.

For most people, iOS 3.2.1 resolved pretty much all of the known WiFi issues with the iPad. Some people reported no difference, but most of the people I talked to said their WiFi connectivity was improved.

What I generally advise people to do is go to a place with free WiFi like McDonalds or Starbucks or Panera Bread and see what kind of connection you get there. If you seem to get a solid WiFi connection somewhere else, this could indicate an issue with your router at home.

And even though your 90 days of free phone support has expired, your iPad is still under warranty. You should take it to where you bought it or to an Apple store and see what they have to say about it.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guys have you checked out the long threads in these forums concerning wifi problems?

The chances that you have a defective machine are fairly remote. 90% of wifi problems are down to router settings and interference/poor reception.
Lots of good advice has been given in those threads so sit down and have a good read.

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys have you checked out the long threads in these forums concerning wifi problems?
The chances that you have a defective machine are fairly remote. 90% of wifi problems are down to router settings and interference/poor reception.
Lots of good advice has been given in those threads so sit down and have a good read.

I read a LOT before returning my iPad, both of them.

I have no problems with my router, all my laptops - and other people's laptops, are working just fine.
I took my iPad to a few locations and usually had the same connection problem there even though often the person next to me, on laptops, had none.

It didn't matter if I put the iPad literally right next to the router I would still have the connection problems.

Very important: I never had a low antenna signal on the iPad in any of the locations I tried including at home. It was always at full strength.
It just wouldn't connect to the internet - even with full signal strength.
Then when it did it would all of a sudden loose connection, still showing full antenna, and there was no way to fix it except reboot the device.
Then I would be connected again for a few minutes only to eventually loose the connection, still with full signal strength.

Arcaanon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update on wifi after testing

Recap: my PC (a top of the line lenovo consumer unit - ideapad Y560) receives excellent 5/5 bars wifi reception and throughput at home, where the router is on the 3rd floor and I am using the computer on the 2nd floor or even 1st floor. The Ipad receives 1/3 bars on the 2nd floor and performs slowly on internet or not at all.

Conclusion: after taking the ipad to two friends' houses and also using it on my 3rd floor, my conclusion is that the wifi receiver on the ipad is working, but simply inferior to the probably VERY GOOD one in my lenovo laptop. I guess crappier laptops might also have problems on my 2nd floor. In the other people's houses, the ipad worked just fine, and it wasn't bad on my 3rd floor either, although I can't say it was quite as good at my place as at my friends' places. Perhaps they have better routers or internet speeds.

Solution: I will have to rewire the house so the router can be on the 2nd floor, where I spend most of my time.

Most reactions