What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-fi connect problem

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I just got my shiny 64GB iPad2 set up but it refuses to connect to the 'net over my home wifi. As far as I can tell the password for my network was entered correctly; I've got a checkmark next to the network name, and the wi-fi logo is being shown in the upper left with a good signal. But I cannot connect to the internet. I know the wi-fi is good; my iPod Touch works fine. Cellular data is turned off, so I don't see how that can be interfering

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just asking...but are you connecting via a router? Is your router set up such that you need to enter the device Mac address to give permission? If so, do you access your router to set that in the wireless arena? I have my router set up so that I have to enter that info AND use the password also.

OP
M

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not using MAC filtering; as far as I know I've never entered the MAC address for any of the other devices that use the wi-fi - including 2 iPod Touches, a laptop, and netbook.

Haven't tried the 3G and don't intend to unless it's necessary.

Thanks,
Mark

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll move this to the Help section; I think it will receive better attention there.

Tim

OP
M

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim.

Here's some more info. I tried it at work, in an area where there is an unsecured wi-fi connection. My iPod Touch connects to the internet no problem - this is a personal device and not company-issued so I know there are no security restrictions. Same issue with the iPad - it shows that it's connected to the wireless network, but when I try to browse in Safare it tells me it's not connected to the internet.

Is there a Safari or other internet setting I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Mark

csibbald

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim.

Here's some more info. I tried it at work, in an area where there is an unsecured wi-fi connection. My iPod Touch connects to the internet no problem - this is a personal device and not company-issued so I know there are no security restrictions. Same issue with the iPad - it shows that it's connected to the wireless network, but when I try to browse in Safare it tells me it's not connected to the internet.

Is there a Safari or other internet setting I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Mark

Check to see if the iPad is getting an IP address. Is your router set up for DHCP?

Cheers
Chris

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mark - I'm not sure what your problem may be?

But if not already done, I would power recycle both your modem & router (just turn them off or unplug each depending on the device) - power up the modem first & then the router.

Also, restart the iPad - no harm done and might work? Good luck - :)

OP
M

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the iPad is set for DHCP.

I'll check try cycling the router when I get home, but this doesn't explain why I couldn't connect to an unsecured wi-fi. The Touch, which I had with me as well, had no issues.

I don't have a separate modem & router - it's just one device though that shouldn't make a difference.

Mark

OP
M

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into your Settings > General > Reset, and then Reset Network Settings. That may help.

Tried that, after powering down the router and restarting everything and still cannot get internet connection.

Here are the network settings on the iPad:

IP Address 169.254.407.49
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

Nothing in the other fields.

As before, my Touch connects right away. Should I just exchange it? I'm at my wit's end with this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tried that, after powering down the router and restarting everything and still cannot get internet connection.

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

As before, my Touch connects right away. Should I just exchange it? I'm at my wit's end with this.

The DHCP server is not giving the iPad an address. The one showing is self assigned. Besides the IP Address (usually) being in the 192.168.x.x range, you should also see a minimum of DNS and Router address entries.

You normally fix this by restarting the Router, but since you've tried two different routers with the exact same results I've got doubts this will help. Won't hurt to try if you haven't, though. Be sure to leave the router off for a couple minutes, and reset the networks settings on the iPad while you wait as a little extra help.

If you've not been able to connect to any hotspots, including free ones at places like McDonald's, I'd consider taking to an Apple Store if you can, they can test it right there. Otherwise call Apple Tech Support.

Problems with this or that router is an all too common with iPads. Failing with all routers and hotspots is not.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What brand if router? I had same problem and gave an Apple AirPort Extreme. Problem was with my iPhone or so I thought. Had it checked. It was ok. Had router checked. It was not. Apple replaced the router. Everything connects now.

OP
M

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

The DHCP server is not giving the iPad an address. The one showing is self assigned. Besides the IP Address (usually) being in the 192.168.x.x range, you should also see a minimum of DNS and Router address entries.

You normally fix this by restarting the Router, but since you've tried two different routers with the exact same results I've got doubts this will help. Won't hurt to try if you haven't, though. Be sure to leave the router off for a couple minutes, and reset the networks settings on the iPad while you wait as a little extra help.

If you've not been able to connect to any hotspots, including free ones at places like McDonald's, I'd consider taking to an Apple Store if you can, they can test it right there. Otherwise call Apple Tech Support.

Problems with this or that router is an all too common with iPads. Failing with all routers and hotspots is not.

I did reset the network settings on the iPad prior to attempting to re-connect, and just after restarting the router. The router was off and unplugged from the cable for more than several minutes.

I'm amazed that an $800 device can have such crappy wi-fi. Don't think I want to deal with Tech Support, I'm 99% certain they're going to ask me to do what I've already done. I've seen that others have solved the problem by replacing their router. To me that's a ridiculous resolution after spending this much money on a device.

OP
M

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What brand if router? I had same problem and gave an Apple AirPort Extreme. Problem was with my iPhone or so I thought. Had it checked. It was ok. Had router checked. It was not. Apple replaced the router. Everything connects now.

It's not my router, otherwise neither my nor my wife's iPod Touch could connect, nor my laptop.

Thanks,
Mark

Most reactions

Latest posts