What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I’m Not Getting the iPad 2

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus, unfortunately, as wicked has seen, 1st wave of new tech devices always gonna have some bugs or things needed to tweak out. So it's good to wait anyways. Whether buying ioad2 or just waiting till ipad3.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't get it when peole say their iPad will be old now because of the iPad 2. How many people do you know with an iPad? It's still a very niche item, a luxury tech. It really has not been outdated in any way by the 2. It's even sexier than the sequel, and anyone without an iPad wouldn't know the difference, and most people WITH and iPad wouldnt know the difference. Confused, confused

I disagree the iPad is not a Niche item for so many it is a replacement for laptops and desk tops unless you are in business and or want tb drives 1 gb video ram and play on line games. The iPad replaces the basic under 1000 laptop for mainstream Internet plus music emails usage etc etc and please if some one even mentions flash I will self destruct. Ok.... I have not used my MacBook except for back up and sync changes for the iPad or iPhone3gs since October

If one thinks this device is a toy then you should not consider even buying it. As for price. I will remind all of you something I have learnt as a Apple reseller since 1993 it is not about price it is about quality of product after sales service and more importantly in my opinion it is cost of ownership over the life time of the product.. iPad will have the lowest cost of owner ship of any productvshipped by apple excluding iPhones and iPod why because there are no moving parts further more no virus issues i could go on but will stop.

I will order an iPad 2 why because Ii wish to gain productivity with the performance. Just moderating 3 forums some 4 hours a day I will save around an hour and a half Not to mention the other features I want such as the cams and out put to full hd via HDMI ADAPTER.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I disagree the iPad is not a Niche item for so many it is a replacement for laptops and desk tops unless you are in business and or want tb drives 1 gb video ram and play on line games. The iPad replaces the basic under 1000 laptop for mainstream Internet plus music emails usage etc etc and please if some one even mentions flash I will self destruct. Ok.... I have not used my MacBook except for back up and sync changes for the iPad or iPhone3gs since October

If one thinks this device is a toy then you should not consider even buying it. As for price. I will remind all of you something I have learnt as a Apple reseller since 1993 it is not about price it is about quality of product after sales service and more importantly in my opinion it is cost of ownership over the life time of the product.. iPad will have the lowest cost of owner ship of any productvshipped by apple excluding iPhones and iPod why because there are no moving parts further more no virus issues i could go on but will stop.

I will order an iPad 2 why because Ii wish to gain productivity with the performance. Just moderating 3 forums some 4 hours a day I will save around an hour and a half Not to mention the other features I want such as the cams and out put to full hd via HDMI ADAPTER.

I have to agree with all that you have said plus more......I became ill about a week after getting my iPad1 and have spent the last 3 weeks housebound. I have successfully managed to continue running a £3m project from my home without my work laptop almost entirely using just a mobile phone and my iPad. I had to crack open my MacBook on the odd occasion but basically I was able to find an app for everything that has been thrown at me. It may not be perfect but I am amazed how easily it has replaced the laptop that I use at work. I now intend to continue using my iPad when I return to work. Unfortunately because I haven't had my iPad for very long I can't justify the cost of upgrading but would if I could.

I never use my MacBook outside of the lounge when I'm at home but I have used my iPad in every room, even the bathroom and it has become a real work/leisure hub, far more than any desk/laptop that I have ever had......comms, work, email, TV, games, etc, etc.....the apps are out there to do almost anything, you just have to look for them and they are getting better all the time.

Finally, just to back up the comment about price I have two views on this. Apple is a premium product and brand, no different than buying a Range Rover instead of a Honda but conversely I have seen various articles down the years where they have looked at Apple against, say, Dell, and when comparing like for like.....not just cheapest in range against cheapest in range, there is virtually no difference in price. Think back to a time before the iPad, how much would a tablet have cost you, let alone an equivalent tablet, Apple have actually brought the cost of these amazing devices within reach of the masses.

The Archangel

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I am perfectly happy with my iPad purchased in June, I must admit after seeing this video I like the speed difference. Over all I can live with my first generation and will upgrade next year to number 3.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it when peole say their iPad will be old now because of the iPad 2. How many people do you know with an iPad? It's still a very niche item, a luxury tech.

It depends, to a large degree, the circles that you move and work in. In my office alone, there are at least three other members on my team with iPads, and when we have cross-departmental meetings, easily half the people in the room also have an iPad (and 80% have some model of iPhone.)

Admittedly, my office is a lot more progressive and our management is open to new ideas and trying things out than most - but we certainly don't see the iPad as "niche" anymore.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it when peole say their iPad will be old now because of the iPad 2. How many people do you know with an iPad? It's still a very niche item, a luxury tech. It really has not been outdated in any way by the 2. It's even sexier than the sequel, and anyone without an iPad wouldn't know the difference, and most people WITH and iPad wouldnt know the difference. Confused, confused

I think it depends on how you use your iPad. If you can use it comfortably as a business tool to replace your laptop then I say fine. However I do not see it in competition with laptops. I see it as an additional tool you can use besides a laptop.

And it does make an awful nice toy too, I might add. ;)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The life cycle of Apple mobile devices does seem to be a bit short. I bought a brand new 2nd generation iPod Touch in October 2009 just after the release of the 3rd generation iPod Touch. Even though all of the features of iOS 4.2.1 would not work on this iPod, I was still able to load it. After I loaded iOS 4.3 on my iPad, I plugged in my iPod and it would appear as if iOS 4.2.1 is as high as it will go.

I am well aware that there comes a point that the hardware will no longer support the operating system, I get that. But this device was introduced barely 2½ years ago and is now officially off the radar.

Please forgive the ramblings of an old man who is still on his first cup of coffee!

h1611161

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rsmin said:
Mossman, great post.

I have the original 32GB 3G version, and just bought a ZAGG mate. I would love to get my hands on the iPad2, but for the camera's sake? naah! Then I have the perfect excuse too, it will take another year before it finally lands up in our region, lol.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1991-C4 basically captured the other point at where one would might need to update, if OS updates aren't going in the device anymore. For me, I just got my Gen 1 literally just three and one half months ago. And until literally yesterday, my iPad was the latest one. So right this very second, I am not the least bit worried about it going obsolete. The apps and surfing I do I believe will work just fine on it I am sure for at least another couple of years of no worry, and perform great. I believe I will get the money's worth out of it. Then it will be either one of two things telling me it's time to upgrade: the battery is going or it won't accept the latest software update. But even if it were a software update issue, as long as my web continues to surf as fast as it does and apps run as fast as they do (I don't use ones that need high power graphics), I would be able to wait until it was the battery that went.

Last edited:

FutureStar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not upgrading. I got mine as a Christmas gift and it works just fine for what I use it for. I really don't care for the cameras (although the iPad 2 in white looks pretty cool). I still have my 1G iPod Touch which I use everyday and it works just fine for me. Maybe I'll upgrade when iPad 3 comes out.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes! iPad is not a toy. I think more n more people gonna realize this. I haven't used a desktop or laptop other thn the occasional iOS update since July. iPad has even helped me land a few jobs with it's ease of attaching my resume to emails and sending off. The iPad is a jack of all trades. I am always constantly using it. Yes, iPad can play games, and I have alot of them, but the productivity and utility apps far outweighs them. I consider myself to have some of the best iPad apps period on the market on my iPad ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts