What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I’m Not Getting the iPad 2

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 is now upon us. The first reviews are in, and they are as strong as the reviews for the original iPad which was released a year ago. This time the device is lighter, thinner, more powerful, comes with two cameras, and has the ability to utilize a neat magnetic cover which doubles as a stand. The competition hasn’t caught up with the original iPad, and everyone seems to agree that the iPad 2 is even better.

I’m not going to lie to you. I want the iPad 2. I’ve thought about it a lot. What if I sell my current iPad? I purchased a 32GB 3G model last year, but I don’t need the extra capacity nor the 3G service since I have a mifi spot I’m already paying for. I could cash in my existing iPad for $350, and purchase a new 16GB iPad for $500 – or to put it another way, I can buy the iPad 2 for $150. Trust me, I’ve thought about this a lot. To be just as frank, it’s been kind of cool having the latest gadget, and I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that. Now my iPad will be old, yesterday’s news, and a piece of me is kind of bummed about that.

But I’m not going to buy the iPad 2. It’s a hard decision emotionally, but a really easy one rationally. Let us count the reasons why.

The iPad 2 actually isn’t better than the iPad
Technically this isn’t true, but practically it is. I don’t need a camera on my iPad and wouldn’t use it if I had it. A thinner and lighter iPad would be nice, but I would still have to put it down at some point because my arms would get tired. Yes, the dual core processor has been rated faster than the single core chip my device uses. But I’ve been here before. All this talk about the better processing will mean about a second or two quicker page loads and slightly improved app performance. It kind of reminds me of TVs. Go to the store and look at two TVs, one will stick out for you as better than the other. But often you can look at that same TV by itself and feel just fine about it. Unless I plan to use both iPads at the same time, I won’t notice the difference in performance at all.

It would be a hassle to sell my iPad and buy a new one
Not a huge hassle, but more effort than I want to put into it. I work a full time job, have a four year old son, and want to spend time with my wife on top of the time I am using to edit my second book and learn how to play guitar. I don’t have a lot of disposable time, and I certainly don’t want to spend it on this.

Sometimes you just need to be happy with what you’ve got
I love my iPad. I read on it, watch news videos on it, surf the web on it, play games on it, blah, blah, blah. I use the iPad almost every day. I have zero regrets about this purchase. But the fact is that the iPad 2 won’t make me any more productive or happier than my current model does. This is where my rational brain fights with the emotional one. Why do I want the iPad 2 at all? It’s the hype machine. It’s the brilliant Apple marketing that has nothing to do with their ads. It’s the American consumer economy that suggests that almost all the goods we buy are disposable. But they’re not. There’s a cost to each electronic purchase we make. An environmental cost and a human cost, not to mention the financial one. I don’t mean to get too dark here, but our purchases have consequences and rampant consumerism is a frightening thing. I’m not saying I’m not going to buy electronic equipment anymore because of these things, but I would have to be completely soulless not to recognize the impact of my decisions on the world. Kind of puts that hype machine into perspective, doesn’t it?

The iPad 3 will probably be way better
I will buy a new iPad, but it just won’t be every year. Maybe it will every other year, or perhaps less frequently (although I’d bet on every other year). If the price stays the same, an average of $250 a year for a new pad every two years isn’t too bad. That’s just $20 a month. Dirt cheap compared to some hobbies I know people engage in.

So that’s my thinking. Laying it all out like this, I feel confident about my decision. It makes perfect sense. I can’t argue for the purchase of the iPad 2. Yet somehow I get the feeling that on more than one occasion after posting this editorial, I will consider buying the iPad 2 again.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally agreed!
The iPad 2 even is not better than the iPad 1, though people say Apple iPad 2 is Faster, Thinner and with Same Price, and maybe feels and acts drastically differently from its predecessor, but it can't really appeal to me, and buy it at once, no SD slot, no Retina display, and no Gorilla glass, just as you listed!
I think I would stick with the 1gen iPad, and wait the iPad 3's launching, maybe it's not called iPad 3 but iPaper ;)

Reaction score
I was perfectly content with a clunky old Windows Mobile phone until the screen grid bent, causing calibration to be impossible. I moved up to a Droid Incredible after it had been on the market for months, side stepping newer releases because it fit my hand.
I bought my ipad 1 last week AFTER the announcement of the 2 release date because Target lowered their price by $100, it's my first venture into the tablet world, the 1, like my Inc, is a proven winner and I prefer the extra girth in my xxl glove size hands .
I've got 5 children ranging from ages 20 to 3 so I don't have time or desire to "work the bugs out" of the newest gadgets. Plus I'm super happy with my Zagg Mate and don't want to buy another cover/keyboard while awaiting one for the 2. That's a waste of time and money to me.
I, like you, do not want a camera and got a wifi only model and can hot spot off my Inc if needed.
If I get a 2 it will be just before or just after the launch of the next big thing.
When our kids see us caught up in the race to have the latest (love the Best Buy buy back commercials) that is teaching them the wrong lesson about "stuff". I got caught up in the race years ago and by the grace of God was able to get off the track.
I don't need am ipad 1 but am very happy to have it and see no need for what the 2 offers for my uses.I feel like I'd be settling just because it's newer

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great post Mossman. Mim feeling the exact same way. It's an internal battle of wanting the newest device vs. Already being happy with what I have. I do want to video chat with my fam very badly but I can getba refurbished iphone4 from AT&T for only $100 and do that to hold me off till ipad3 drops. You right, consumers have been conditioned to think everything we have or get is disposable and have to get the latest thing. What you posted is a very mature statement. If I had $$$ comin out da $&& then yeah, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But I have a 6 month old daughter n priorities come first. Not pleasure or adult toys per say..lol especially if I already have an iPad. Now if I didn't have yeah, I'd get ipad2 in a heartbeat. But I'm like u, constantly thinking about it and weighing the pros n cons. We are better thn apple's marketing schemes. I'd rather update every other year. Cuz if I get ipad2 now then ipad3 drops, be back n the same boat n be mad..lol. So I'll wait I long as I can till ipad3 is here, which will be the mother of updates! Can't wait!

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with the OP. This new iPad is better than the old one, but it's not so much better for what I want to do with it. I'm happy with my 1.0, and will likely wait till the 3.0 or possibly 4.0.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yeah. i'd stick with my ipad1 and be happy if it was me, then wait for ipad3.
but being as ipad2 will be my first, i'd probably wait until ipad4 (or 5) to upgrade.

i never upgraded from my 1st gen Touch, and continue to be happy with it :)

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it when peole say their iPad will be old now because of the iPad 2. How many people do you know with an iPad? It's still a very niche item, a luxury tech. It really has not been outdated in any way by the 2. It's even sexier than the sequel, and anyone without an iPad wouldn't know the difference, and most people WITH and iPad wouldnt know the difference. Confused, confused

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ITS ME DAVID said:
Not me I upgraded my iPhone and iPad when new versions come out no matter what.

Some people take living in the now way too far. Thank god you aren't a droid fan or you would be drowning In minor hardware updates

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with my iPad. It's like new. But it's in my hands and in use enough to kill the battery every day. Looking back over the last year and the last 53 years, it's been used more than any other electronics item I've ever owned. I've already ordered an iPad 2 and can't wait! My iPad and apps are the one way I indulge myself. And the old one won't go to waste, I have a son who will appreciate it very much!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So that’s my thinking. Laying it all out like this, I feel confident about my decision. It makes perfect sense. I can’t argue for the purchase of the iPad 2. Yet somehow I get the feeling that on more than one occasion after posting this editorial, I will consider buying the iPad 2 again.

As a 1st gen iPad owner, the decision process was easy for me: I didn't need a second generation device, so I don't find myself thinking too much or coveting it in any way. I am glad for the existing users who are looking forward to upgrade, and for the first-time users who may have delayed buying the first device and patiently waiting for the second - but I'm just not that emotionally invested. (It's just a thing.)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I do like new tech but I can't in any way justify upgrading when mine is doing everything I need so far. Like someone above I will say the Ipad is used more than any electronic device I've ever had and I use a computer quite a lot. (and I've been a digital photographer since the 90's doing commercial work up until 2 years ago) I didn't expect it to be this useful or this much fun. I'm an Ipad junkie for sure and its turned out I'm the go to person for all my Ipad friends LOL. Still, I'm going to wait for gen 3 and put my miney towards some new photo gear this year. If I was buying my first one, no doubt I would buy the 2 and have already recommended to some friends who didn't jump in with the original.

Diane

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great post Mossman! I agree with everything you said. I don't have children at home or have concerns about 'sharing' my iPad (the BF has his own). The thought is nice, I LOVE new gadgets! but, like you, I don't see the changes as being a deal breaker for me either. This is just about the coolest little device I have ever used and I have absolutely no complaints with it. It's that I can't see spending money just to be spending the money! (hope I don't have to eat these words in a weak moment at the Apple store!!!)

Chiky

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an advantage LOL. The closest Apple store is over an hour one way so I don't just amble by it. Good thing. However, Best Buy is close and they will have it also. I'll avoid that side of the store. However its not nearly as enticing as in an actual Apple store

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts