What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why has the ipad 2 been kept in the line up?

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And not the 3? My understanding is that the 4th gen has replaced the 3- why didn't Apple remove the 2 instead? The 3 has only been out since March.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because the 3 and the 4 are essentially the same; both are different than the 2, which can be made for less cost.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Because the 3 and the 4 are essentially the same; both are different than the 2, which can be made for less cost.

The biggest difference in production cost between the iPad 2 and 3 is the display. The retina display of the iPad 3 costs significantly more than the non-retina display in the iPad 2.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Low cost budget alternative to the iPad with retina display (iPad 4).
I just wonder how many iPad 2 units they actually sell? I bet it's not many.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Low cost budget alternative to the iPad with retina display (iPad 4).
I just wonder how many iPad 2 units they actually sell? I bet it's not many.

You would be very wrong. Every time I go into an Apple store I see one getting sold. Rough guess they are selling at least 1.5 million a year world wide, possibly more.

And at $400 it is a very solid device. Plus it fills a pricing gap that Apple wants to make sure they don't lose to Android tablets.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They'll be popular with educational institutions that don't have the budget for cutting edge tech although the mini might also be another attractive option as well.

kies99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought an Ipad 2 for my wife this past Saturday (I have my own Ipad 2). The 2 does everything we need and at a cheaper price.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd buy my son a 2 in a heartbeat. Retina is nice, as is 4g capabilities. But the faster charging time and same profile as my 3, he wouldn't care. He is hoping to get enough birthday/holiday cash to buy the base model of a 2 full size or a mini, both the smallest gig, wifi only.
I have a 3 now and had a 2 before, I can tell the screen is clearer and the rear camera is usable. But other than that, my 2 was just as good at web & app performance.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You would be very wrong. Every time I go into an Apple store I see one getting sold. Rough guess they are selling at least 1.5 million a year world wide, possibly more.

And at $400 it is a very solid device. Plus it fills a pricing gap that Apple wants to make sure they don't lose to Android tablets.

Sorry but it sure sounds like a lot of guessing to me.......
I don't doubt they are selling some but in the grand scheme of things how many is that realistically?

They just sold over 3 million iPad 4's and Mini's in the first 3-days.

I suspect there is a huge profit margin in the iPad 2 compared to the retina models so unless sales drop off dramatically it makes sense to continue to manufacture and sell them.
IMHO the $100 more for the iPad 4 retina is well worth the cost over the iPad 2.

As mentioned.............schools and kids are a good market for the iPad 2.

Last edited:

rogerde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice discussion this.
I work in an electrical store (Currys) in the UK.
A lad I work with works in the audio/video section.
He told me that he sold 8 ipad2's compared to 3 iPad3's in the last 2days.
Seems to me the price of the ipad2 is more appealing than the spec of the ipad3.
Me I can't afford iPad3, reason I have iPad2.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rogerde said:
Nice discussion this.
I work in an electrical store (Currys) in the UK.
A lad I work with works in the audio/video section.
He told me that he sold 8 ipad2's compared to 3 iPad3's in the last 2days.
Seems to me the price of the ipad2 is more appealing than the spec of the ipad3.

The iPad 2 just works and as others have pointed out, they fill a price point that some people are comfortable with. The retina display is nice but not life changing for many users. The iPad 2 will be around for a while. I know I love mine.

Most reactions