What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't I sync Pages?

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Pages is on both the iPad and the iMac (both latest OS), but I cannot sync texts with Pages.

On the iPad there is a different list of texts (Pages) than those listed in iTunes (Pages). - They are from earlier syncs, if it ever worked, I'm doubtful.

I've therefore used DropCopy, but then I use GoodReader but still cannot edit the text with Pages.

Anyone with an idea or two?

bw,
Omar KN

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Mac OS X version of Pages does not support iCloud, so no syncing. The documents you export to iTunes can be imported to Pages, but will not automatically sync. You'll have to drag them to the desktop and then open them.

There are are many ways to move files back and forth between the computer and iPad, manually. None of them are ideal.

I use a combination of cloud services like like Box.com or iSMEStorage w/Dropbox, and Apple's services; icloud.com, and iWork.com.

Box.com is a cloud service that supports WebDAV, so that you can import/export files directly to it from any iWorks app on the iPad. However it does not support a free OSX sync utility for the computer, so you have to use a web browser to get files on the computer.

DropBox does support syncing with a computer folder, but does not have WebDAV. but if you use iSMEStorage to access your DropBox account you can use its WebDAV interface. This also works with Box.com, giving you access to both services with one WebDAV address. The major draw back is that iSMEStorage will not automatically update when you access DropBox or Box.com directly, so you have to use the iPad app to force a sync before using the iWorks apps.

Here is a link (provided by DefBref) to a very good article on icloud.com and iWorks.com use between your iPad and Mac.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-sync-iwork-with-icloud-50004968/

At some point I kind of expect Apple to add iCloud service to the OSX versions of iWorks; but there is not predicting when that will happen; or, to be honest, if it will happen.

Last edited:
OP
O

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
>The documents you export to iTunes can be imported to Pages, but will not automatically sync. You'll have to drag them to the desktop and then open them.

If I had the support warrant to Apple left, I'd ask them until they show me (if they can)
how to get my Pages files, which I put into iTunes
("FileSharing - The apps listed below can transfer documents between your iPad and this computer.")

unto the iPad.

So what I did was I uninstalled Pages from the iPad, to start over, but when I chose sync on the iMac (iTunes) NOTHING is transferred!

>I use a combination of cloud services like like Box.com ...

For now this seems to be a bit complicated ...

>Here is a link (provided by DefBref) to a very good article on icloud.com and iWorks.com use between your iPad and Mac.

I think you forgot the url :)
+++found this thread from 2010 which I'm reading right now.+++
( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=937722 )

But shouldn't the transfer (as described above) work?

/bw, Omar KN

Last edited:
OP
O

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'll have to retract a little and declare: "I have now learned how to transfer files from the desktop / iMac to the iPad, edit the file and send it back!"
But it is a hassle!

The twist is as mentioned by twerp poet to do the following:
>The documents you export to iTunes can be imported to Pages, but will not automatically sync. You'll have to drag them to the desktop and then open them.

As Night Spring wrote in 2010 (long time ago!) "it *is* a hassle": @ I thought Pages on my iPad would sync with my Mac. Am I wrong? - MacRumors Forums
"You drag the document you are working with onto iTunes, into the Apps section as shown in the post above. Then you "import" that file into Pages on iPad. Once you get home, you "export" it, overwriting the copy you originally dragged into iTunes. Then you can save that copy back onto your computer, overwriting the file there. Once you get used to the workflow, it's doable, though it *is* a hassle, and I can't wait for Apple to get their acts together and fix this. Fortunately, since Pages is an App, if and when Apple fixes the file handling, all we'll need to do is update the Pages App, and we will be in business!"

Right now I'm testing PadSync, by Ecamm, we'll see ...

bw/ Omar KN

Most reactions

Latest posts