What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why All The Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad and AirPlay come so close to being perfect but for self imposed restrictions.

Fiddly text selection. What's wrong with cursor keys and block selection?

No SD card slot

No USB port or USB drive support

No access to the file system

No Flash support. I don't love flash but without it there are many URLs I can't access

AirPlay only works when apps support it. Why doesn't AirPlay simply show whatever is on the iPad screen?

Being forced to buy apps through the AppStore, unless you are prepared to JB. Granted this does allow some measure of quality control and automatic updates but at a price.

There was also no print support. That was quite silly. Even now I will have to buy one more printer than I need or want. Admittedly a no driver solution is a good idea.

With competition from Android devices perhaps Apple will be forced to lift it's game or see the iPad loose market share.

ipadfornothing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its plain an simple - you buy and iPad because it meets your requirements - people are not so fussed about the issues you list - they would see them as "nice to haves" .... I do agree that the Android platform offers an alternative - but so does Linux to Windows - but that really hasn't made the HUGE impact it promised.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll be honest with you, the iPhone, for example did only a fraction of what I could do with my Windows Mobile phone out of the box. But the WinMo user experience is just crap. I would rather the important things work perfectly and have a wonderful user experience doing them, and a long battery life.

Same with the iPad. The main advantage of the iPad (and iphone) is there is usually "an app for that" when you have a use case that can't be filled out of the box.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ask the question another way: what do you want to do? I bet there are hundreds of recommendations of how you can achieve what you want to do. We're all enjoying working around the little limitations together.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I knew going in that the iPad was nothing more than a big iPod and NOT a computer. If I had wanted a small portable computer, I would have bought a netbook. I did weigh the pros and cons of each before I made my choice.

My only complaint is the flash. I knew iOS didn't support flash when I bought my iPad. It didn't come as a surprise... But what I didn't realize was how many of my favorite web sites actually used flash. I have to put up with not being able to visit a few of my regular browsing places.

On the other hand, I'm really pleased with the GPS function in the 3G model. I wasn't even thinking GPS when I bought the thing, but it's become a valuable asset. I even installed one of those navigation apps (GPS Drive) and use that full time now.. My dedicated Magellan GPS unit is sitting in my closet.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
What I don't get are people who are expecting X when they are buying Y. The iPad is not meant to be a desktop or laptop REPLACEMENT. I have yet to find something I need to do that I can't do on the iPad. Granted, I have not needed to print anything, yet I haven't needed to print anything on my laptop in the last year anyway. I also have the 64gb iPad so space has not been an issue.

Did you buy the iPad expecting something that was not advertised or mentioned in all the various forums? If so, sounds like it is your fault?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
My only complaint is the flash. I knew iOS didn't support flash when I bought my iPad. It didn't come as a surprise... But what I didn't realize was how many of my favorite web sites actually used flash. I have to put up with not being able to visit a few of my regular browsing places.

The Flash issue is a personal one. I have yet to come across a site in my favorites that requires Flash to view, including my most-used video site, Vimeo. Vimeo is doing a great job of redoing itself to not require Flash.

Besides, JB and you can get Flash.

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its an issue of user experience and building an empire. EVERYTHING Apple does down to the last detail feeds the bottom line and grows their business. That said it doesn't always make sense to the "end user" as we all are but ultimately their decisions to do things and not do things are based on making money.

I agree that I would rather have a seamless UE (User Experience) than have to put up with slow or non-working platforms.

Ultimately Apple left a loophole in their system to allow for a customer chosen UE - Jailbreak. You do that at your risk and I've heard more issues with people after jailbreak than without.

The choice is yours - Jailbreak and use the device as you wish or live with the development in the app store and allow Apple to continue to work towards a excellent UE.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with dekyon. You should know what you are purchasing when you get the iPod.

As far as Flash goes, I have one site that I visit regularly when I need Flash and quite honestly if I need to get there with less then a computer, I'll use my Droid. It' Major League Baseball's Extra Innings. And usually I go there just to download the latest pdf for the schedule.

MLB.com might use Flash too, I don't know but here again I'll use either my computer or Droid to access that. Specifically what I got the iPad for was for internet access when I'm not by my computer and moderating the two forums I work with. For me it does a super job of that. My only complaint was no multitasking which I could have lived with but it turned out last OS I got it.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I personally suspect that many of the restrictions may originate from legacy DRM/iTunes thinking. This is all part of the iPod's original formula for success, making money from selling content as much as selling hardware, but I think that it may be time to move on.

I don't expect the iPad to replace my notebook but I don't understand the self imposed restrictions.

For example, the iPad is great for viewing photos while traveling but doesn't seem to be suitable as a backup device. There doesn't seem to be a way to copy camera files off the iPad after they have been uploaded using the Camera Connection Kit. Of course the fact that there is no built in SD card reader just means that there is something that you can forget to take with you on a trip and can easily loose.

I have no doubt that competitor devices, without these restrictions (again self imposed) will gain market share on the iPad over time. It's Apple's choice, but it seems to be self limiting, even perverse.

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restrictions? It's all because that's how Stevie & Co. maximize revenue and, thus, maximize profits.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is all part of the iPod's original formula for success, making money from selling content as much as selling hardware, but I think that it may be time to move on.
I think the share holders of AAPL stock would disagree with this statement! At last count, Apple had a net worth of something in the neighborhood of $222 BILLION! This places the company's value even higher than Microsoft with a puny net worth of only $219 billion! This makes Apple's net worth roughly equivalent to the GDP of the entire country of Ireland!

It ain't broke and the way things are going, they have zero motivation to change their tried and true formula for success! How much is your computer company worth?

Last edited:

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Have you thought that maybe, just maybe, the "technical elite" are not the main demographic the iPad is geared for? All those other functions you are are lost because of "restrictions" are something only people a bit more savvy in the ways of technology would use. Jailbreaking will allow for nearly every "restriction" to be overcome. And again, these are "restrictions" in the eyes of a very small percentage of the total market.

As a company, do you cater to the smaller 5%-10% of the market, or the larger 90%-95% of the market. (no proof in numbers, they are for example only)

For example, the iPad is great for viewing photos while traveling but doesn't seem to be suitable as a backup device.
Even with the 64g iPad, a weekend of shooting for me would overflow. I can go through 128gb of photos in a good weekend, which is why I carry a portable 1TB drive with me as my downloader from the cards in the cameras. The iPad is not even figured into my workflow outside of just looking at some photos I have already downloaded.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like everyone has posted here it how you the person are useing your ipad for in your life ?? ..

It is basic simple device design to do the following task of web browseing or checking emails or sending emails or checking the tracking number of something your order over the internet or playing games or listening to music or reading -e-books or e magazines .. it the perfect device to do that in your life those task are listed in the above sentence ....

It was design to fill a basic fuction between the smart phone and the desktop computer for the person to use there life ..

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you thought that maybe, just maybe, the "technical elite" are not the main demographic the iPad is geared for?.

I do not think that the apple ipad was design for the tech people in the electronics market?. my belief is that is was design for the simple non tech or greek use for a everyday electronic device for them to us in there life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts